11 | 𝓔𝓷𝓮𝓶𝓲𝓮𝓼

Start from the beginning

It was then that everyone at the table looked up at me, as if I just turned visible. Anderson's face was blank, no emotion detected. Jacob exchanged looks with Kyle and a similar smirk grew on his face. Grayson examined me and it showed on his face that I made little impression on him. 

He leaned back against the chair again and closed his eyes once more, just like he had done before I came. He was mysterious, not in a way that people try to be, but he appeared honestly mystifying. Like he was hiding a secret or had a dark past, maybe he didn't, maybe he does. Who knows?
But I wanted to unravel this 'mystery'. He made me curious. From the way he looked, to the way he acted. He now seemed so restful and Godly in the sunlight that shone through the windows of the cafeteria. 

"Well, since everyone seems so interested, I'll tell you," said Kyle, letting my thoughts on how perplexed Grayson is vanish. "She's come to eat with us."

"Terrific!" sounded a new voice I haven't heard before from my right. Josephine, I remembered Bella talk about her. She told me to watch out for her. Evie, Bella and Josephine were friends at the beginning of high school, but ended up as enemies. Josephine's new friends were popular and didn't like Bella and Evie, so she left their group to be more 'approved' of by her new friends.   

What type of friend stabs you in the back like that? And just to get accepted in their pathetic, little clique, as Bella said it. Josephine apparently spread some nasty rumors about Evie at school. Evie didn't even dare to show up outside of her house for a few days! How mean is that!?

She was absolutely gorgeous, but her voice could tone down a bit. Or maybe it sounded maddening just because I didn't really like her from what I've heard. I know you're not supposed to judge a person on someone else's stories, but I couldn't just forget what she had done to my friends.

"Terrific," she had said. "I won't be the only girl at this table now!" She sat down in the seat Kyle had saved for me. I didn't dare say anything, if you focused on her expression hard enough, you could see a threatening look behind that fake smile of hers. 

"Actually, Josephine," you could hear the annoyance in Kyle's voice. "That chair was for Sophia." She raised her perfectly shaped eyebrows and played dumb. 

"Really? This one?" she asked, pointing at the one she sat on with her crossed legs. 

"That's fine, I can just go sit with-" I didn't finish when I saw Kyle shake his head at me. "I can just grab a new one, I mean," I re-scripted. 

I searched the room and found an unoccupied one. Walking towards it, I softly cleared my throat at the kids that sat there. "Is anyone sitting here?" I asked them. They shook their heads and one of them spoke up. 

"You can take it if you want," a girl said. I sent a grateful smile her way and picked up the chair. I set it down on the floor next to the one person I didn't want to sit close to - Grayson

He didn't move an inch or blink an eye when I put my bag on the ground. I'll do anything to get away from here this moment. And just then, I thought of something. "I'm gonna get me some food," I reported to Kyle. 

"I'll go with you!" a voice I wished not to hear halted me in my tracks. I peeked over my shoulder and watched as Josephine sashayed over to me with a look on her face that told me not to disagree. 

Kyle and Jacob shared another glance, Anderson looked, for the first time ever, uncomfortable. Grayson grunted, his eyes still closed, "Josephine, don't." Something in his voice made it sound like he forbid her.

But she didn't hear it as she said the following, "I'm not going to do anything, I just want to get to know her better. That's all," she chirped, high-pitched. 

He mumbled something between the lines of 'of course you do' and made a small act hat showed distaste on his face, but his eyelids never opened. 

We were in line for food when she took my hands into hers. "Sophie, right?" she guessed, her voice an octave too high. 

"Uh, Sophia, actually," I stated nervously. She nodded, muttering something that sounded like 'same thing' and then put up a too big and bright to be true smile on her face. Her whites on display. 

"I can already see us becoming best friends, you know. But even between best friends, one small thing can change everything." It looked like she waited for my to say something, so I gave her a polite sign to continue.  

"It can be anything; a boy, grades, jealousy. Anything. It can crush a person, destroy one. I can do that as well." This started to sound way more like a threat than a 'getting to know each other better' talk. And to be honest, it kind of made me feel alarmed. Even before we actually got the chance to talk, she subdued me. I knew there was something unnerving about her, I just didn't get to find out yet. But I guess I do now.

"But that doesn't have to happen. Like I said, I can already see us becoming besties!" She was now standing way closer to me than before, only a few inches away, and her hands were at the point of squishing mine. 

Before I could process anything, she pulled me in for a hug. "It wouldn't be the first person's life I've shattered into pieces," she whispered into my ear. I was frozen. The line moved on, but I didn't. How could I after what I've just heard? She looked as if she wanted to kill me right now, but can't, only because we're in a public place and Kyle and Anderson were watching. 

Grayson's eyes were closed, but he surely didn't seem as peaceful as before. Jacob wasn't even watching, he was busy observing a table of girls a few metres away. 

"And don't even think about telling anyone," she bellowed menacingly as she sashayed passed me toward the table. I went after her when a moment passed of mentally preparing myself for feeling her deadly glare on me again. I sat down and stared at my food. There goes my appetite...

-

I dumped myself onto my bed and snuggled deeper into the warm, fluffy pile of cushions and blankets. What a day, I thought. What a day... 

It was uneventful, but at one point my mind suddenly exploded with thoughts of Josephine. I imagined all the ways she could try to kill me, because the look on her face told me exactly that she was going to murder me some day. But for one thing I wasn't certain yet...

What does she mean with - I replayed her exact words through my head -"...one small thing can destroy one's life." 

It could be a boy.

Jealousy.

Grades.

I don't understand! If it's about a boy, she has nothing to worry about. No one loves me like that. I think she has a crush on or is in a relationship with Grayson. But he hates me, it's not hard to see.

Well, nothing I can do about it, so why not try and relax a bit? It's not like she's going to break into my house, right? And either way, my parents'll be back soon. 

I grabbed the tv-remote and put on my favorite show, while making popcorn and hot chocolate for myself. 

What a cliché life I have, already making enemies...

A/N: Short chapter, I know :/ 

But please VOTE, thank you