And with that, she closed the door in his face and sunk to the ground to finally release her tears.

***

Lali looked around awkwardly, sitting at the table across from Syd in Sean's apartment. Sean was out on business and Syd invited her over for them to finally talk about her birthday night. "...So, you dumped Hector, he hit you, you called Emiliano who managed not to kill him, then you stayed with Emiliano this weekend, and now you're staying with Sean until you find a place out here?"

Syd nodded. "Yeah, that pretty much sums it up... Anyway, we need to talk about you and Sean, Lali. What the hell?"

"Here we go..." she sighed.

"Yes, here we go. You're married! Isn't Chris a good man? Has he been treating you wrong or anything?"

"No..." Lali averted her gaze. "He's just so busy."

"Lali, that's not enough." Syd said exacerbated. "You know what it feels like to be cheated on. That shit is one of the worst feelings in the world. You wonder what you did wrong or what's wrong with you. The way that shit hits your self-esteem... And don't get me started on the fucking embarrassment. Jesus, Lali! What happened? Did Sean start this? I don't understand."

"No... I mean yes... It was mutual... After Vegas, we were kind of talking casually and then we met up for dinner one day... You know Chris is always working late. It all just kind of happened and now it's a thing."

Syd groaned as she ran her hands down her face. "Lali... You know this stuff comes out eventually. It always does."

"You planning to say som-"

"No, girl. Don't even finish that sentence! I only know Chris through you, so it's not my place to say anything to him, even if knowing and not telling him makes me feel like shit. Anyway... Sean and I agreed not to tell each other who we can and can't fuck, so I've said what I need to say to both of you at this point and I'll just bite my tongue from now on. I may not agree at all, but I still love you both."

"I love you too, girl." Lali smiled with relief. "So... You and Emiliano?" She raised a curious brow.

"Yeah..." Syd looked down and started fiddling with her fingers.

"What's wrong? Did you sleep with him? Nah, wait... You definitely did if you spent the night... Oh shit! Was it bad?"

"No!" Syd squeaked. "It was..." She shook her head. "That shit was bomb. I think I had an out of body experience. Like... My soul might still be floating around his room or some shit, because he definitely fucked it out of me."

Lali burst out laughing. "Tell me how you really feel! So, why did you look tense when I first asked?"

Syd hesitated before she finally spoke. "... Because I have feelings for Em. It was easier to ignore them when I was with Hector, but now that I've dumped his sorry ass and had sex with Em... I don't know what to do about them. Em wouldn't want anything serious, but I really like him and the sex was so damn... ugh! I know I'm putting myself on a path for more heartbreak while I'm in the middle of dealing with heartbreak Hector inflicted." Syd shook her head and put her face in her hands.

Lali reached out and placed her hand on Syd's shoulder. "How are you so sure Emiliano wouldn't want anything serious with you?"

"Because he's a player. Plus, there's more..." Syd lifted her head from her hands and looked at Lali with wide eyes.

"What is it, girl? Does it have to do with what Sean saying about subordinates and some council or something? What even was that?"

"No... And he's just talking about business. He calls the company board 'the Council' and uh... The Rossi family does some work for the company sometimes."