But then more and more time passes without Anne coming out again and Marianne begins to doubt, anxiety building within her body with every passing second, each of them measured by rapid beating of the girl's heart. So, before she allows her right mind to speak to her senses, she's already by the door, her hand extending to touch it.

She can feel no heat under her fingertips, allowing Marianne to hold onto the hope of there not being any flames right behind the threshold, waiting to consume everyone daring to enter. Taking one deep breath, and silently cursing both Anne and herself for their stupidity, she opens the door and steps inside.

Even through the fabric of her coat pressed against her face, the girl can feel the smell of burning wood; her eyes watering instantly due to the omnipresent smoke which suddenly fills her lungs. It envelopes her like a second skin - a toxic, deadly one, that one wants nothing more than to rip off, even with their bare nails.

"Anne!" calls out Marianne, desperately trying to spot the figure of her friend; her voice muffled by the fabric. "Anne! Where- Oh, Anne!" Relief washes over her as she sees the girl crouched on the floor not so far from herself, breathing heavily yet alive. Dropping to her knees at her side, Marianne grabs onto her arm. "Anne, we need to get out!"

Coughing, the redhead girl nods her head as she makes a move to stand up, only to be pulled back onto the floor by Marianne.

"Let's try moving close to the ground, yes? There shouldn't be as much smoke..."

Marianne allowed Anne to go first, the two making they way through the door on all fours. She didn't tell her that, but there was another reason she didn't want to try walking in a normal way. If Anne collapsed or, worse, lost her consciousness, Marianne wouldn't be able to get both of them out. To be honest, it's already hard enough to force her limbs to move and eyes to keep open.

That's why she welcomes the sight of the door with a very great deal of relief, reaching up to open it. The two girls stumble out of the building, staggering as they both feel their legs ready to give up any moment. Their eyes and throats still burning, it takes a moment to appreciate being in the open again, breathing in much fresher air. And, oh how sweet it feels!

And then Marilla is already at their side, Anne meeting the ground at last and Marianne following soon after. Other women forming a way too tight circle around them, the girls' names being repeated over and over again; Marianne resists a sudden urge to tell at all of them to stop their questioning and step back, to allow her and Anne a moment to catch their breaths.

Though the redhead girl had it worse than she did, being inside the Gillis' house much longer, and Marianne cannot hear her complaining. So, not wanting to feel self-centered, she stays silent as Marilla embraces both of them, wrapping a blanket around their shoulders.

And, despite the fact that Marianne has never been particularly fond of physical contact of all kinds, right now her aunt's arms feel like the safest place in the entire world.

🌼

Marianne didn't expect to find herself back at the Gillis' house so soon, yet here she is. Watching men working around the much better looking building as Anne offers a biscuit to the Minister.

"Oh, this is some heavy work."

Marianne resists the urge to scoff at the man's words. She can see everyone trying their best - even the ever so reluctant Mr. Phillips! - except the Minister.

"Hey, look, that's the freaks and their new twin sister!"

This time she gives in, turning her head as she rolls her eyes with a sigh. Maybe it's the fact she didn't get almost any sleep at all after their return to Green Gables or maybe it's because Billi Andrews is just a very irritating boy in general.

"As long as they bring food, I don't care if it's Quasimodo."

It's the first time they hear the voice of Gilbert Blythe today, but Ruby's eyes have been even before they had reached her house. Now that fact turns against her and the girl trips, falling straight to the ground with her face.

Billy sniggers, looking around like he was waiting for others to join him. "That was great!"

Marianne kneels next to Ruby. "Are you all right?" she asks, somehow relieved that on her way down the girl was met with a layer of leaves and not something sharp - even though Ruby sobs like she did.

"Girls are so useless. Guess you should have stayed home in the kitchen, eh?"

"What is wrong with you?" yells Anne, clearly angered.

"Go home and bake cookies!"

"Headline: they already did."

Anne ignores Gilbert completely. She gets further into the argument, her answer to Billy's nonsensical talk meeting with amusement from the men who had stopped their work to watch; though Marianne wouldn't consider herself a fan of such outburst, she has to give it to Anne - the right is undoubtedly on her side.

She herself is trying her best to get Ruby off the ground. It's not an easy task, as the girl doesn't show any will to move at all, and Marianne doesn't feel like dragging her upwards with the use of force.

So she's much surprised to see Ruby grasping someone's hand.

"Hey, here," says Gilbert while helping the girl up. "You all right?".

Of course, thinks Marianne as she straightens as well, she cannot even stand a chance compared to the boy in Ruby's eyes; the blonde girl looking at him with visible admiration as he picks up her hat before returning it to her hands.

"Thank you, Gilbert."

Briefly, Marianne wonders how uncomfortable it must be for the boy. "Yeah. Of course." His eyes wander to where she and Anne stand. "Thanks for, um, coming by to help feed the beasts."

"Much obliged," interrupts Matthew, suddenly appearing at their side.

"You're welcome. Matthew, will you please bring the basket home later?"

"I better, if I know what's good for me."

"Um..." Gilbert opens his mouth, obviously not really knowing what to say, buy Anne doesn't even give him a chance:

"Come on, Ruby. Let's get you home," says she, placing a hand around Ruby's back and dragging her away, the other girl turning her head to look at Gilbert a little longer.

Meanwhile, Marianne watches the small smile disappear from his face and, when their eyes meet, she realises it's already too late for her to walk away just like that.