Ch. 39 | The Lecture

Start from the beginning

"You already have me. That'd be like regifting," I pointed out with only a pinch of self-deprecation. It was still too much for Spencer, though, who swiftly shot back the ever cheesy, "Every day with you is a gift."

"Gross, don't get all sentimental with me," I ordered playfully.

He returned the energy with all the sass I always knew he was capable of. Once his whining ceased, he mumbled, "Do you come with a gift receipt?"

"No returns or exchanges allowed, I'm afraid."

Spencer just let out a strained sigh, and in my head, I imagined how it would feel to climb onto his lap as he leaned back in his chair. I could almost feel his arms wrapping around my waist and his lips peppering kisses wherever he could reach. I could feel his love for me flowing across the country, persisting past the cell tower obstacles to make its way back to me.

"I can't wait to see you again," he whispered, his first purely sincere statement of the night.

It was an unfortunate choice, too, because it also reminded me of the biggest bummer that I unfortunately had to share.

"Oh, I meant to tell you, it's midterm season, so..."

He was, thankfully, not as bummed as I was expecting. He was almost certainly thrilled to have a chance to sleep spread out on his bed without having to satisfy the very needy girl beside him, but he still managed to come up with enough bratty energy to scoff, "Are you telling me that I don't get my gift when I get home?"

"It'll just be a few days. Promise," I spoke through the biggest, cheesiest smile I'd had yet. "You're very distracting, Dr. Reid."

"When are your exams?" His enthusiasm gave away just how disappointed he was with the news, but any frustration was clearly aimed at my poor professors.

"My last one is on Wednesday."

The gasp that left him was too funny not to laugh, followed by exasperated, blubbered nonsense that didn't ever get much clearer. I barely managed to understand him when he cried, "Don't they know Halloween should be a national holiday?!"

"You should call my professors and yell at them."

He actually considered it for a moment, but then returned the same silly intonation, "Maybe I will."

"Do it. You're probably more qualified than them to teach me, anyway."

After a short silence that was filled with more sexual tension than I'd expected considering how the phone call started, I heard Spencer gruffly comment, "You're a cocky little brat tonight."

It was so familiar to me that I jumped on the opportunity, giggling through my sleep deprived delirium, "I'm in rare form for your birthday."

The explanation earned me a chuckle, but not much else. At least, not that I could see. The static on the other end of the phone sounded a lot like the way it looked when Spencer leaned his face against his palm and tried to see something that wasn't there.

But I was there. Sort of. We'd done a lot more with a lot less, after all. So, that's what I offered him.

"You know... we could have a redo of the last time I called you late at night on a case."

"That did not end well for me last time," he droned. I tried not to laugh at the manufactured memory of Spencer holed up in a hotel bathroom because he just had to have me in whatever way he could.

"Only happy endings for your birthday. I promise."

But then, as it always did, work got in the way. Filled with only the greatest sadness and regret, Spencer quietly but honestly replied, "As much as I would love to, I don't think it'll be possible on this case."