Birthday

'The police have managed to link three murders to one killer, the murder of a school janitor named Rupert Ford, two school girls who attended the same school Mr Ford worked in; Ellie Marshall and Clara Winchester, police are yet to find any suspects or any leads to a possible killer-' I switch the TV off, I never thought that the murders would be shown of TV, but I can't say that I'm surprised.

I just sit in bed, propped up against my pillows the remote control and my phone on my lap, I jump slightly as my phone rings, Peter's name lights up the screen. 'Hello?' I answer, before bringing a hand p to cover my mouth as I yawn.

'Good morning and happy birthday!' he yells through the phone, making me hold the device a little away from my ear and laugh.

'Thank you'

'I hope you enjoy your day, don't think too much, just have fun' he says, I smile.

'Thank you Peter, I will' I hang up just as my door is pushed open. My father walks in, dressed in casual clothes, closely followed by my mother who is also dressed in casual clothes, a birthday cake with eighteen candles lit, I giggle.

'Blow them out and make a wish dear' my mum says, pearching on the side of my bed as dad stands, I close my eyes, inhale deeply before blowing out all of the candles.

'I wish that I can find out who unknown number is'

'Your presents are downstairs on the dining room table along with your breakfast, we'll be back in a couple of hours, we're going grocery shopping, have a good day' my father smiles, kissing my forehead.

'Thank you' I smile, watching the two leave. My smile slowly fades as I stare at the now closed door that they just exited, the memory that they're not my real parents haunts my thoughts, will they ever tell me? I'm eighteen now so I'm old enough right?

After a cool shower, I change into a black turtleneck dress and black knee high boots with a heel, I leave my hair wavy, cascading over my shoulders and down my back. Once I am downstairs, I make myself comfortble at the dining table, a delicious looking and smelling plate of warm pancakes with syrup drizzled on top and sliced bananas and blueberries makes my mouth water.

After fifteen minutes, I clear my plate away and sit down in front of the two presents, on is a rectangular box and the other is inside a sealed plain white envelope, I lick my lips before ripping open the envelope, I pull out the paper inside, gasping. It's a letter stating that I'm going to be taking my driving test tomorrow, I can't believe it! I unwrap the box to see a beautiful rolex, wow.

Clutching my presents excitedly, I run up the stairs but jerk to a stop in front of my closed door, oh no. Stuck onto the door is a piece of paper with an arrow pointing to my right, I gulp and slowly turn to my right, down the hall on the door of the spare bedroom is another piece of paper with the word 'Unknown Number' written on.

Is he inside? No way. I rip off the piece of paper on my door and walk down the hallway and rip off the paper on the closed spare bedroom door as well, taking a deep breath, my shaky hands grip the cool doorknob, twist and push. The door makes a small creak as it slowly swings open, the room is empty just like it always is. My eyebrows rise as I notice a rectangular shaped object sitting on the neat bed of the spare room, as I walk closer I realise it's a present.

I set down the stuff in my hands and stare at the rectangle present wrapped in shiny rich blue wrapping paper with a gold bow tying around it, sowl and carefully I begin to unwrap it, scared as to what I would find. I didn't dare rip any of the wrapping paper, I don't know why, I just didn't want to. I gasp as I see a large rectangular frame and a smaller rectangular frame; pictures.

Taking the larger one out first, I turn it over, gasping at what the photograph was of; there were four rows of children all smiling at the camera, there had to be atleast thirty altogether, two women and two men stood either side of the children, it reminded me of the class photos you get at school where the tallest have to stand at the back, smack bang in the middle I recognised myself, I had the brightest red hair which was held up in two ponytails either side of my head, I was smiling and my eyes squinting, the picture looked like it had been taken outside on a summer's day.

My eyebrows furrow as my vision drifts to the person beside me, a young boy. His hair is a chocolate brown and is quite short, his eyes seem to glow a forest green colour, I bring the photograph closer to my face, I can just make out his hand holding mine as a ghost of a smile graces his cute face. I cannot help but stare at the boy, I feel as if I know him.

I pick up the smaller frame and turn it over, this time it was a photograph of me and the boy beside me, but it was only the two of us and closer up. I am standing slightly in front of him, his right shoulder and arm hidden behind me and the rest of his body next to mine, I know it was taken on the same day because we're wearing the same clothes as in the other photograph.

His hair looks darker and his eyes look greener, if that's possible. I can see a gap in between my teeth at the back where I seem to be having a missing tooth, the boy still wasn't smiling, but he did look happy. I just stare at the photographs, as I realise who the boy is, he is unknown number. He is the boy who I was in the bedroom with at the time of the gruesome fight, he is the boy who was saved, he is the boy I spent two years with in the care home, he is the boy mum and dad adopted along with me... but where is he now?

My phone dings, Unknown Number; 'The countdown has finished, it all begins now... happy birthday'

COMMENT AND VOTE please