1982 : Behind the Scenes (part 1)

Start from the beginning

"It's still stiff but I'm sure I can do it." he smiled but I can see the slight nervousness under it. Speaking of which, it was awkward and hard to listen in the final movie. I wish him luck and the crew did the first shoots.

(A week later at break time)

I got a chance to ask the director about the place and Oshima-san said that they didn't get the permission by the government. I wonder why... maybe I should look up who was in charge of Indonesia in the 80's.

The Japanese crew had to have their hair shaven to fit the characters when the crew were directed to shoot with the outfit. Some were shaven clean and some were not. I have to admit that I was a little disappointed that it was mandatory for Ryuichi-sensei. "Don't worry about it. It will grow back when we're done." Sensei tried to cheer me up. "I'll be wearing a cap for most of my scenes." He added.

It's break time and I decided to join in with sensei and the others. I saw him chatting with the other main cast. "Who's that with you, Sakamoto-san?" asked a fellow Japanese actor. "This is (y/n)-chan. I'm sure all of you have seen her around." Sensei introduced me. "よろしくお願いします." (Yoroshiku onegaishimasu : It's nice to meet you.) I bowed. "Your character must be Sergeant Hara." He nodded, "Takeshi Kitano." He gave his name. "And you must be David Bowie." I looked at Mr. Bowie. "That's right!" he playfully smiled.

Sensei then introduced the rest with their roles. Tom Conti as Colonel Lawrence and Jack Thompson as Captain Hicksely. I don't recognize Mr. Thompson's name but I think I ever saw Mr. Conti's name from somewhere. I took a closer look and I remembered, 'He was the old guy in The Dark Knight Rises and Paddington 2!'. "Are you one of Mr. Sakamoto's staff, miss (y/n)?" asked Mr. Conti. "Y-yes! I'm his assistant." I answered. "She's new to the job so technically she follows me around." Sensei explained.

They continued their conversation and I only listened. Sensei was a translator between the main cast. Even though Kitano-san has an English line on the end of the movie, he was much more comfortable speaking in Japanese. Break time was finished and sensei was called with Mr. Conti and Kitano-san. Mr. Thompson went to a different direction and I was left with Mr. Bowie. Sensei told me to stay with Mr. Bowie while he does his shoot. I'm fine if I just watch them or around sensei but I'm honestly nervous. I don't know if I should be excited or not.

We were in an awkward silence and neither of us seemed to strike up a conversation. "So uh... it's (y/n), right?" Mr. Bowie asked to break the ice. "Y-yes." I slightly nodded. "How long have you been working with Ryuichi?". "For few months now." I answered. "I think Ryuichi-san is lucky to work with you." I gave a random comment. "No. I'm lucky to work with him." Then Mr. Bowie gave me his reasons. I giggled listening it and out of nowhere I blurted, "Glad that I get to meet you thirty years before." I suddenly covered my mouth.

"Thirty years? What do you mean?" he was clearly confused. "N-nothing! Nevermind what I said." I quickly brushed it off with a chuckle. He laughed it off and said that I was being silly.

(Few weeks later...)

We're almost on the end of the shoot and we covered the scenes on the island and as I expected, there were the honorable death shoots. The process was actually interesting to watch though. We moved to different buildings for different scenes in the island. Few of them were decorated to bring out the oriental feel to the movie.

Ryuichi-sensei's scenes are mostly daytime and honestly, I'm relieved. It feels a bit scary at night. He told me to stay in the villa while sensei does his evening activity with the other crew and I obeyed. I rather let go of my curiosity to be safe but it feels lonely waiting for him to come back. At least to check if I was doing okay or not.