nine

《○○》

"Ah, stay away from me and my food." I hugged my plate close to me to get it away from the grubby hands of Gary Oak who was eyeing my unfinished cheesecake.

"Aw come on Gou! Just a small bite." Gary pleaded with his best puppy eyes. He's been very moody since he lost the race against Ash.

I just can't believe he still keeps challenging Ash since he always ends up losing, but there's some whispers around campus that it wasn't like that before. To think Ash use to lose to Gary is very hard to believe.

"Ha! Coming to know you, a small bite is equivalent to the whole thing in your mouth." I slapped his hand when he tried to reach for it again.

He flinched and rubbed his hand. "Wow Gou, you've become meaner."

Ha, no way Ash used to lose to this guy.

"I've always been mean." I stated, taking a bite of the cheesecake, making sure to over-exaggerated my reaction to the basic flavour just to annoy Gary. "You just got too comfortable." I glared at him.

"Ow!"

"I told you not to touch it." I said sternly.

"Aw come on!" Gary whined with a childish pout plastered on his face. I smirked at him.

"What have you done to Gar-bear?" The one and only Ash Ketchum entered the scene with Calem trailing behind him. I still think they look alike when they're side-by-side...or am I just crazy?

"You know he just lost a game yesterday, go easy on him. He's in a fragile state."

"Shut up Ashy-boy! What took you guys so long? Did you plan to leave me to this bully?" Gary sneered at me before eyeing my cheesecake.

"Hm, if we had known Gou was bullying you we'd have took our time getting here." Calem said blankly, sitting down beside Gary who then sneered at him.

"Aw, come on Cal. I think Gar-bear's had enough abuse for one day." Ash chuckled as he sat beside me. He took my fork and dug into my cheesecake.

"Oh, but you let him eat your cheesecake." Gary growled watching Ash put the fork - quite teasingly - into his mouth.

"Mh, raspberry."

"You're very one-sided Gou." Gary shook his head dismissively.

"What? Ash is my friend." I said, watching as Ash went for another bite. Truth was, I was already full and didn't even want to cheesecake but Gary was being extra annoying today. And also, am I Ash's friend?

A nod from Ash at my words sort of confirmed it.

"Am I not your friend?" Gary pouted.

"Eh, you're more of an acquaintance." I shurgged.

"Oh, acquaintance-zoned." Calem said while patting Gary on the shoulder like something tragic had happened to him.

"WHAT I THOUGHT WE HAD SOMETHING SPECIAL GOU! WHAT ABOUT HARRY POTTER!? LORD OF THE RINGS?! WE ARE BOOK BUDDIES!" Gary cried. Pretty sure everyone in the cafe was watching us.