The air was heavy and tense. Nobody knew what to say next.

"Thank you all for coming. I'm sorry we all had to gather for such a solemn event, but I'm thankful to be surrounded by such loving family and friends." Grandma said finally and after everyone paid their last respects, they went back to their cars.

Dexter and I stayed behind and stuck around Jenny. She was very quiet.

"I'm just happy we're halfway through the year." I said softly.

"I swear I have sophomoritis. I don't want to do any of my homework anymore." Dexter said.

"Me either. It feels like I have so much to do but no motivation."

"Right! When will it end?"

"And don't forget after this year, we have to take the SATs."

Dexter stuck out his tongue, "Great. Another four hours I'll never get back."

Jenny stood up from her seated position on the grass and turned to us.

"I wish Caius were here." That wasn't what I thought she was going to say. I thought she'd say something about her parents.

"He's probably off doing whatever." Dexter said. "He's missing out."

"I don't think he left just because of Gaia," she said slowly.

"Why do you say that? Who else could've sent him running?" I asked.

"Because right before he left. . . he accidentally bit me." She admitted.

"On the neck?" Like he was feeding from her?

"He pulled away as soon as it happened. I didn't even know what was happening until I felt the blood." Jenny looked at the grass. "He never brought it up again so I thought he just forgot about it but I think it really got to him."

"Do you think he was trying to protect you?" I asked. Maybe he had second thoughts about getting too close with a human. Although I thought it had more to do with his family's arrival.

"I don't know. Or maybe he left because he was getting tired of me." She shrugged. "Anyways, thank you for being here with me."

"Of course." Dexter and I said at the same time.

"I'll see you Monday."

She gave us one last look before joining her grandma and her friends.

"Well, now what?" Dexter asked. "I thought she'd want to hang out but I guess not?"

"Maybe she's doing something with her grandma." I also didn't like leaving her alone but she seemed to want space.

We got into his car and headed to the diner for lunch. Well, lunch for me since Dexter didn't need to eat.

"So did you tell your parents yet about, you know?"

"Yeah, I actually did just yesterday. I think they took it well. I haven't been kicked out so that's a good sign." He laughed.

I clapped, "That's great! What did they say? Did they freak out?"

"They were so confused. They thought I was pranking them so I cut myself with a knife but they still didn't believe me. My mom thought it was magic or something, so I put my hand in the oven and burned myself. Then she started screaming while my dad almost fainted."

"Wow, you put your hand in the oven? Wouldn't that burn you?"

Fire was the only thing that could kill or weaken a vampire, so they tried to avoid it at all costs. Wood was deadly too but not as much.

"Yeah, it did. Probably gave me third degree burns but then I started healing." He shrugged like it was nothing. "It wasn't that bad. I only put my hand on the top for ten seconds but if it were longer, it'd probably scar."

He showed me his left hand and the skin was flawless.

"And then they believed you?"

"Kinda. They had so many questions. They wanted to know everything but I didn't know most of it. I'll have to ask Tate the rest." He laughed. "They wanted to know if you and Jenny were vampires."

"Really? Did you tell them about Tate and slayers?"

"I did and they freaked out when I told them I was using guns and crossbows and all that. Almost as much as when I burned myself."

"Your parents must've had so many heart attacks."

"It was a day. But now they know and they promised not to tell anyone."

We pulled up to the diner and snagged the last booth by the window.

"So when are you gonna tell your parents?" Dexter asked as he pretended to look at the menu.

With all the drama happening I hadn't really thought about telling them. It wasn't an emergency and they could survive without knowing.

"I don't know. I don't think they really need to know, you know?" I said. "They'd probably ground me or take away my bed next anyway."

"I think they'd understand why you're always out and not focused on your grades," he shrugged.

"No way. They'd never understand." They'd find a way to flip it on me and make it seem like it was my fault.

"They might," he said optimistically but my parents weren't like his.

"Or they might not." I couldn't risk it. I pointed to the menu. "Want to 'share' a grilled cheese and fries?"

"Yummy choice."

.•*•.

I was almost asleep when a hand was at my mouth.

My eyes popped open and I was about to scream and kick but then I saw Isaiah's face in the moonlight.

"Don't scream and I'll take my hand away." He said quietly and took his hand away.

"What the hell are you doing here! Get out!" I whispered-screamed.

Blueberry woke up too and started meowing. Isaiah picked her up and sniffed her. What a psycho.

"Don't eat my cat. Please."

"I'd never do such a thing." He put her back on my bed before looking up and winking. "I'm more of a dog person anyway."

I gagged a little and he chuckled.

"What are you doing here?" I demanded.

I was hoping this was a dream but he was still in my room. I didn't remember giving him a free invite into my house.

"Straight to business I see."

"If it'll make you leave quicker." It was almost eleven and I had school tomorrow!

"Maybe I'm here to see you."

"I'm serious."

"You're right. I'm not here to see you." He grabbed my wrists and lifted me up like I was air. "I'm here to kidnap you."