Chapter 2 : Mr. Intimidating

Start from the beginning

''I'm 25,'' I answer, still looking at my fingers rubbing my mug. I actually feel really awkward because I never know what to talk about with strangers. Sure, my job required for me to have talkative skills, but when coming to making friends? I am a complete mess.

''Hmm,'' he hums low in his throat. It sends chills down my spine and I lift my head again. He has a small smile on his lips and he looks deep in thought while he was still watching me. He notices me looking at him and he slowly titles his head in the right like he was asking me something.

I scrunch my eyebrows together, not understanding. He was still looking and apparently waiting for something. What? Have I missed something? Had he asked me any other questing?

He leans forward and puts his elbows on the table. Is it just me or there's suddenly some tension between us?

''You don't talk much, do you?'' he surprises me with asking. I quickly look at my mug and then up again. He is studying my face. ''No, not really,'' is my only answer and I almost whisper it to him.

We become silent again and I feel really awkward just sitting there. I sigh. ''How old are you?'' I suddenly ask to break the silence, surprising myself. Well, why not pass the time with talking instead of sitting here in silence like some idiots?

He leans back in his chair and crosses his arms on his chest, looking pleased with himself. Huh. What a strange man he was. ''I'm 29, Rory.'' My name rolls off his tongue like a velvet, making me hot inside. ''Are you from here? I didn't hear any accent.''

I lean back in the chair and take a sip of my tea. ''I was born in Michigan. But when I was 4, my parents wanted to move to New Jersey. How about you?''

He seemed interested in my answers and that pleased me. He leans forward again. He places his elbows on the desk and puts his hands in front of his mouth, making a motion with his thumb across his lips. My eyes instantly fall on that movement and some thoughts came to my mind that were very unholy. I guess he noticed me looking because his lips curve in a smile. Busted. I quickly look away. I feel my cheeks becoming hot once again. What is it with me blushing so much around this man?

''I was born and raised here, Rory.'' I still avoid his eyes. I take another sip from my cup and welcome the burn down my throat. I allow myself a quick look at him and see that he was focused on my lips. I feel my cheeks redden even more if that was even possible.

''Do you have a boyfriend?'' Braden blurts out, surprising both of us. His eyes go wide like he couldn't believe he just said that out loud. I chuckle and roll my eyes. I think that's a too personal questing for someone I met only 20 minutes ago. ''What, am I at some interview that I don't know about?'' I chuckle again to lift the tension.

He bites his lip and clears his throat. Just when he opens his mouth to say something, I hear the front door open.

Brooke comes rushing into the kitchen seconds after. ''Oh, you're already here. Sorry I'm late,'' she explains to Braden. When she spots me, she gives me a smile and a little wave. I return the gesture. Braden stands up and quickly hugs his sister and places a kiss on her forehead.

I simply watch them. I guess they were close to each other. Brooke didn't tell me a lot about her brother. To think about it, she didn't tell me almost anything, just that he bought her this flat. She definitely didn't mention that he's super hot. I would probably remember that.

''It's okay Brooks. Your friend here kept me some company.'' He stares in my eyes when he makes that statement. I look down and blush.

''Oh, so you've already met my new flatmate. She's cool, huh?'' Brooke has this easy-going persona that it's really hard not to like. I like that she's talkative and you're probably never bored with her. Although I only met her yesterday and talked to her for only about half an hour, I instantly liked her.