Elevator Girl

"I haven't seen you around before, did you just move in?" The doors to the elevator close and I can no longer see the man in the maroon sweatshirt. I'm suddenly pulled back when the girl clears her throat. "Hello-?"

"Uhm..yes?" I say, scared to say too much. Hopefully, she doesn't recognize my voice.

She looks me up and down. "Woah, you have a really deep voice. That's hot." She giggles. I just feel like rolling my eyes, but I clear my throat uncomfortably instead. "Well, I'm Gracelyn. But you can call me G. I like your nails."

"Ok."

"I live in room 2D if you ever want to hang out!" She rummages through her purse, pulling out a pen. She then takes my arm in her hands, almost causing me to jump back. She starts writing down a phone number. "Text me."

I nod slightly, confused. Her eyes are playful and flirtatious, not to mention gorgeous. But I'm really not looking for that right now.

I look down at my phone. 12:46 P.M. I just want this damn elevator ride to be over already. The floor shakes as the elevator begins to ascend. My hands are clammy and I feel anxious, but also annoyed at myself. I should be able to make small talk without going into a mini panic attack.

The elevator grinds to a halt. With a loud ding, the heavy doors slide open. I hold myself back from running to my room. But I walk to my room hurriedly and close the door. Back against the door, I let out a breath that I didn't know I had in me and slide down to the ground. The air in my apartment is freezing and I can hear the heavy rain echoing in my kitchen. I must have accidentally left the window open.

I could really use some wine.

I pull my wet hoodie up and off of my torso and throw it on the ground. I take the box over to my kitchen counter. It falls down with a heavy thud. Something slips out of my hand and floats down onto the floor: The note the receptionist gave me. I completely forgot about it.

My anxiety begins to flood back. I sit down at my new kitchen counter and examine the note closely. It's neatly folded and looks like it was carefully torn out of a notebook. It isn't damp and it doesn't have water stains, so I assume it came from someone inside the apartment complex. At least, I hope it came from someone inside the apartment complex.

I set it down on the counter and go to grab a wineglass from one of my moving boxes. Once I've filled the glass and sat back down, I slowly open the note, fearing what I may read.

Hello!

I heard the moving truck outside today and found out we have someone new moving in! Sorry, I'm not trying to invade your privacy. I just wanted to say hello. So, I told Megan (the lady that works at the front desk) to give this to you. So, hello! And also, if you need anything at all, I'm from apartment 2B. I don't feel comfortable meeting up with people right now, with covid and all. But I didn't want you to feel alone. So, welcome to the building, friend! :)

-Thomas

P.S. sorry if this is creepy, I promise I'm not a stalker.

Oh. This was actually really sweet. I reread the note a few times, finishing off my wine. It's five o'clock somewhere I suppose. My phone buzzes and I see a discord notification.

Valkyrae: Anyone down to play Among Us later?

I hesitate. I can't feel my arm, and my anxiety is at an all-time high, but I love playing with my friends.

CORPSE: I don't know maybe

Sykkuno: Sure!  Hope to see you there Corpse :)