Chapter One

I told myself it was a normal, in the heat of the moment, tackle.

         I repeated and tried to convince myself of that as I made my way through the crowded corridor, full of curious journalists and concerned staff members, praying - and cue to the fact that I don’t even believe there is a God - that Mats would be alright and that the awful cracking sound the entire stadium seemed to hear when he received the (accidental, I hoped, accidental, no harm intended)tackle was just an illusion.

         Because I couldn’t believe, with all my heart, that the Spanish man I once fell in love with would be able to do such thing on purpose.

         Because there’d be no way I’d ever, ever be able to forgive Javi Martinez if he intended hurting Mats the way he had just done.

         By the door of the infirmary stood a couple of Mats teammates, still sweaty and red faced from the game, after all, Mats had left the pitch on a stretcher just a couple of minutes before the final whistle was blown, and they all shot me sympathetic looks as I got closer.

         I hated those looks.

         And I knew Mats would hate them even more.

         “Nina” I was engulfed by Marco Reus, who was almost like my baby slash the biggest third wheel in my relationship with Mats, the first of his friends I’ve met and the last to “accept” me.

         He still said to everyone he was “evaluating me as worthy of Mats Julian Hummels” although we’ve been together for over a year and a half, he babysits our dog Kaiser when we travel and steals food from our fridge.

(I think I pretty much have his seal of approval stamped on my forehead.)

         “That was a criminal move. They have to punish him, that wasn’t football. He wanted to break Mats leg in two.” He shook his head angrily, running his fingers through his hair “First match that guy plays against us and I already want to bite his head off.”

         “Calm down, Suarez.” I tried to lighten the mood and Reus only gave me a small smile, punching me softly on the shoulder “How is he? Can I see him?”

         “He’s with the coach and the doc. Might want to wait a bit.” The captain, Kehl, replied and I nodded.

         Few were the people who intimidated me and although Mats always tried to convince me Sebastian was a “big teddy bear” I still felt uncomfortable around him.

         “It wasn’t pretty.” Marco muttered “I’ve never seen Mats in so much pain.” He spoke and his words stung, the feeling of powerlessness already taking over me and I seriously had to control myself to not break the door down to just see him, run my fingers through his hair and ask how he was doing “Not even on that one time you were being a bitch and” Reus made quotation marks with his fingers “Needed a break” He rolled his eyes “He looked that pained.”

         “Gee Reus, thanks for remembering something that happened over a year ago.” I gave him the tongue.

         A raspy voice spoke behind us and I froze.

         “Some people just have a really good memory.”

         “I hope you’re here to apologize.” Kehl said sharply, crossing his arms “Otherwise, feel free to leave.”

         Javi gave the fakest, most cynical smile I’ve ever seen before saying with a shrug “That’s why I’m here for.”

         I felt his eyes on me but was too busy analyzing my high heeled boots to meet his gaze.