The Middle

(This story is in the same style as book one, which begins with a short foreshadow. This type of story is called a Frame Story, (think The Notebook) meaning it begins with teasing the end and moves into a flashback to tell how the characters came to be where they are. Book one started with a chapter called 'The End' and this is 'The Middle'.)

---

"I'm proud of you for doing this. They would've wanted this."

I fumbled something small and metallic between my fingers. "Do you think so?"

"Yeah... yeah I do."

A certain feeling had weaved itself throughout my body. I could feel it in every heartbeat, every blink, every breath.

The feeling of emptiness, of loss, of pain.

"They say when you lose someone you love, you lose a part of yourself with them. It's as if a piece of your soul leaves in search of them, forever hoping to reunite, even for just one moment."

I looked down at my hand, turning over the object. Finally, with a deep breath and but a single tear, I reached out and let the ring fall.

"Go, and be free. Don't worry about me. I'll be okay."

It glinted once as if saying goodbye for the last time before creating barely even a ripple in the water.

"What now?"

"I move on."

---

A/N: