Chapter 5

Once the sand storm had ebbed, the Jedi, Padmé, Jar Jar, and R2 walked over to Watto's shop to discuss entering Anakin into the podrace. They were right outside the door when Padmé stopped, concerned.

"Are you sure about this? Trusting our fate to a boy we hardly know? The queen will not approve" she stated.

"The queen doesn't need to know." Qui-Gon said, and Padmé gave him a distasteful look, sitting down outside the door to Watto's shop.

"Well, I don't approve" she grumbled, and (Y/n) followed Qui-Gon through the door as the bell dinged in the shop. Watto flew up in front of the taller Jedi to speak to his face, Anakin standing by the counter. (Y/n) gave him a small encouraging smile, which he returned as Watto spoke.

"The boy tells you want to sponsor him in the race. How can you do this? Not on Republic credits, I think, huh?"

"My ship will be the entry fee." Qui-Gon said, holding up a hologram of the ship. (Y/n)'s eyes widened a bit, not aware of his plan to use their ship to enter Anakin in the race.

"Oh, not bad. Not bad, huh? A Nubian, huh?" Watto spoke to himself.

"It's in good order, except for the parts I need." Qui-Gon stated, putting away the hologram.

"What would the boy ride? He smashed up my pod in the last race. It will take some long time to fix it" Watto told them.

"It wasn't my fault, really! Sebulba flashed me with his vents. I actually saved the pod, mostly" Anakin defended himself.

"Mmm. That you did, huh" Watto spoke, then laughed. "The boy's good. No doubts there, huh?"

"Well I have acquired a pod in a game of chance, the fastest ever built." Qui-Gon told them, using Anakin's words from the day before.

"I hope you didn't kill anyone I know for it, huh?" Watto jested, and Qui-Gon smirked, making Watto laugh, and he continued. "So, you supply the pod and the entry fee, I supply the boy. We split the winnings, um, 50-50, I think, huh?"

He was trying to pull a con on them, leaving them with less than they came with, which was nothing. He comes out richer while they are stuck on Tatooine.

"If it's going to be 50-50, I suggest you front the cash for the entry. If we win, you keep all the winnings, minus the cost for the parts I need. And if we lose, you keep my ship. Either way, you win" Qui-Gon proposed, circling around the Toydarian. (Y/n) couldn't believe how many risks he was taking. Everything was holding on to the hope that this small 9-year-old boy could win the pod races. Watto thought for a moment, going over the pros and cons of this, but for him, there were only pros. He gets money or he gets a ship.

"Deal!" he said finally, slapping Qui-Gon's hand. They exited the shop, and (Y/n) was beginning to fill with nothing but anxiety. Everything they had hung on the edge of a string.

"Master Qui-Gon, is that really the best idea? We could be trapped here if we lose" (Y/n) spoke up as they walked down the street back to Anakin's house.

"Maybe, but we won't lose. You'll see. I have great faith in the boy. I think you should too" the master said, and (Y/n) sighed as they continued down the street.

Once they reached the home, it was a little while before Anakin got back, and as soon as he did, he went to work on his pod for the race. Qui-Gon remained inside as the others went to help Anakin work. (Y/n) had to admit, pods looked to be very interesting vehicles to pilot, especially at the speeds Anakin was talking about. (Y/n) helped as much as she could, letting Anakin know if she saw something that could prevent it from working. As they worked, a small group of children ran through to find Anakin working. R2 beeped as he talked to C-3PO, and Kitster, one of the kids, noticed.

"Wow, a real astro droid! How did you get so lucky?" Kitster asked.

"That isn't the half of it! I'm in the Boonta race tomorrow" Ani boasted.

"What? With this?" Kitster said as he looked at the pod, which still needed work.

"You're such a joker, Ani" a Rodian boy said, and laughed.

"You've been working on that thing for years!" One girl said.

"It's never gonna run" a smaller girl stated.

"Come on. Let's go and play ball. Keep racing, Ani. You're gonna be bug squash!" a red-headed boy said, and the four children giggled as they ran off. Kitster stayed back with Ani.

Jar Jar was screwing in something near the energy binders on one of the engines when Anakin spoke up, causing him to drop the wrench.

"Hey, Jar Jar. Keep away from those energy binders. If your hand gets caught in the beam, it's gonna go numb for hours."

Jar Jar mumbled an apology, bending down to grab the wrench, only for his face to get hit by the purple flowing energy. The tool flew in the air, and got stuck in the engine. Jar Jar mumbled undecipherable nonsense, due to his tongue being numb now. He reached into the engine to grab the wrench, but his hand got stuck. The wrench fell out, and Jar Jar mumbled for help. (Y/n), noticing his struggled, walked over to help him escape as Ani was about to start up the pod.

"You know, I find that Jar Jar creature to be a little odd" 3PO said to R2-D2, who beeped his agreement.

"You don't even know if this thing's gonna run" Kitster claimed as Anakin hopped in the pod, and Anakin assured him it would.

"I think it's time we found out." Qui-Gon said, and gave Anakin a power charge to use, to which Anakin expressed his excitement. "Come on, Kitster. Let's move away".

As Anakin started up the pod, the engine hummed to life. They began to spin and the pod partially lifted up in the air.

"It's working! It's working!" Anakin shouted out, excited that all his hard work was finally paying off.

~~~~~~~~~~

Later that night, (Y/n) stood out on one of the balconies and looked up at the stars. They twinkled in the dark of night, lighting up the sky. (Y/n) pulled the Evenstar from around her neck to look at it. It glowed like the stars did in the dark. There was only one Evenstar on Rivendell, and, for some reason, the Lord of the Elves decided to give it to her when she was just a baby. Glancing back up at the sky, she listened to the breeze that blew by her, the sounds of the animals, and the slight chatter of the people on the streets. Closing her eyes, (Y/n) bowed her head and went back inside.

When she passed another doorway that led outside, she heard Qui-Gon speaking to Obi-Wan, but this time, it was about the boy.

"I need a midi-chlorian count" Qui-Gon said.

"The reading is off the chart! Over twenty thousand. Even Master Yoda doesn't have a midi-chlorian count that high" Obi-Wan exclaimed.

"No Jedi has"

"What does that mean?"

"I'm not sure" Qui-Gon muttered, and turned off the commlink.

(Y/n) thought over that. Over twenty thousand midi-chlorians? How is that even possible? There was more to this boy that what they saw. (Y/n) felt the power of the Force surrounding him, it was almost dizzying at times. This lead (Y/n) to one question.

Who was Anakin Skywalker?