6

That morning, Laura Barton was awoken by the pleasant sound of vomiting. After clearing her bleary eyes, she got up and out of bed, and walked toward the bathroom.

She knocked on the locked door, "Hi, Nat, it's me, are you okay in there?" She called out.

"I'm fine," Natasha called in a break between sticking her head back toward the toilet bowl.

"Are you sure? I can come in and help you clean up?" Laura offered.

"Laura, it's fine, go," she commanded, pushing her away.

Laura walked back to her bedroom to find Clint stirring. "Good morning, babe," she said, sitting next to him and kissing his cheek.

"Hey, everything alright? I thought I heard shouting," he explained hazily, clearly still waking up.

"Yeah, it's just... Natasha's in the bathroom - she doesn't want my help. You should go to her," Laura said, a little dismayed. It was upsetting to see the bond the pair of them shared. Even knowing their relationship was wholly platonic didn't much improve how she felt about it, the deep understanding they had of one another was something she felt belonged to couples - it was something she craved to have with Clint. Of course, she loved him and he loved her - she knew that. But it was upsetting, nonetheless.

Clint left the bed and walked over to the bathroom. "Nat, you going to let me in?" He said soothingly. Slowly but surely, he heard the lock clicking as it was undone.

Natasha looked awful, her eyes were tired and her skin was gaunt. "Morning," she said grumpily, opening the door.

"Let's clear this up," Clint said, smiling. He shut the door behind them, then got to cleaning up.

"I'm sorry, it's probably going to be like this every morning," Natasha said, putting on some rubber gloves.

"Hey, don't apologise. It's alright, and it's not your fault either," he said, grabbing the toilet cleaner. "How are you feeling now?"

"Fine, actually. A lot better than ten minutes ago," she replied.

"Have you spoken to Steve?" Clint asked.

"Not yet. I'm wary to call - Tony or S.H.I.E.L.D might be tracing his phone. I don't know if I should take that risk, I don't want to put him in danger." Natasha and Clint finished their cleaning and walked downstairs.

"You up for some breakfast?" Clint asked, "Laura's doing a fry-up." Suddenly Cooper and Lila appeared.

"Daddy, is Auntie Nat okay?" Cooper asked.

"Uh yes, yeah she's fine - she was a little unwell but she's a lot better now," Clint explained. They sat down at the table, while the kids watched TV, having already eaten their cereal for breakfast.

"Clint, I'm so sorry your kids heard," Natasha apologised profusely.

"Hey, I said this before - it's not your fault. And it's okay, we're just happy to have you with us," Clint replied, reassuring her.

As if out of nowhere, Laura magically appeared holding three plates of fried egg, sausage and bacon and placed them on the table. "Breakfast's here," she called as she joined them at the table.

Natasha caught one whiff of the food and instantly ran from the table. Her stomach churned, her nose betraying her. "Oh shit, not again," Clint muttered to himself before dashing after her.

He found his friend chucking her guts up once more in his bathroom. He held a comforting hand against her back and handed her a glass of water as she stopped.

"Oh god, I need to go apologise to Laura - it looked lovely," Natasha said.

"No you don't, she'll understand. You get yourself sorted out, alright? I'll grab some clean clothes from your bag and I'll be back in a sec," he responded, then left.

Clint rushed to Natasha's bag and grabbed the first shirt and trousers he could find. He dashed back and handed them to her, before leaving again.

Natasha undressed, then quickly replaced her previous clothes with the ones Clint had brought up. It was an old tank top, which had been a little small anyway - it now showed off the small curvature of her middle rather obviously. The jeans he'd brought were also low-rise, which did not help the situation. She didn't have any sweatshirts with her - only outdoor-sy jackets. She'd have to borrow something off Laura.

She went downstairs but folded her arms awkwardly to hide her bump - she didn't want the kids knowing. Laura saw her and came over. "You alright there?" She asked, confused at her odd stance.

"Yeah, can we just go upstairs for one sec?" She asked. They walked up together and went into Laura and Clint's bedroom.

"So, what's up?" Laura said as they arrived. In response, Natasha simply unfolded her arms and gestured to her bump.

"This." She said.

"Nat, you look gorgeous and it's really not that noticeable," she said.

Natasha resisted the urge to roll her eyes and simply said, "May I borrow a sweater? I don't have one with me."

"Of course! I haven't got many either, mind you - it gets so hot out here sometimes," Laura smiled sweetly, grabbing a burnt orange knit sweater, "How's this?"

Personally it wasn't to Natasha's taste, but beggars can't be choosers. "Perfect, thanks," she said, taking it and pulling it over her head. It covered up her bump entirely.

Laura leaned against the doorframe and spoke, "If you need anything else, just let me know, okay?" She smiled then headed back downstairs.

Being strong wasn't just a physicality, sometimes it meant doing the right thing, despite any feelings you have on the subject. There was a lot these two could learn from each other.