Chapter 7

(Imala's POV)

"Are you ready to witness it?" Nanami asked as we stood in the rain in front of the theater. Itadori nodded. Nanami was the first one to walk inside, and we followed.

"Can you two see it? This is the residual taint of cursed energy." Nanami pointed at the floor.

"Well, I can't see anything." Itadori said as he looked at the ground.

"I can." I said while looking at the purple footprints on the floor.

"I expect nothing less from you, Tasubaki-san." Nanami pushed his glasses up. I gave him the side-eye before looking back at the floor.

"What ?! How can you see them?!" Itadori asked.

"Itadori-kun, I suppose that you know that Gojo trained Tasubaki-san. So she knows these things from a young age." Nanami explained to Itadori while I kept quiet.

"As for you, you're not trying to see it. We typically see curses as if it's perfectly natural to. When a cursed technique is used, it leaves traces behind. That's what residuals are." Nanami was explaining to Itadori.

"Residuals are much fainter than cursed spirits. So focus your vision and look closely." Itadori put his hands on both sides of his head and focused on the floor.

"Oh! I can see them!" A large smile appeared on his face.

"Of course, you can. A proper sorcerer can sense them before seeing them." Itadori's face immediately dropped.

"Let's go." Nanami began to walk towards the hallway, I followed close behind. Itadori then joined us.

"You could've given me a bit of praise or something." Itadori said as he entered the hall.

"I don't praise or disparage anyone. I adhere to facts and judge on that basis. That's who I am." I looked up at Nanami just like Itadori.

"There was a time when I mistakenly believed society operated the same way, but enough about that. Let's follow them." He looked at us over his shoulder.

"Yeah, let's go all-out!" Itadori grinned to himself while punching his own fist. I stared at him before following Nanami.

"No, where moderate effort will suffice, use moderate effort." Itadori's face dropped yet again. We followed the footprints upstairs. As we walked Itadori asked about the cameras, and Nanami said that there was a boy aside from the victims. So most likely, a cursed spirit was behind it.

"There's a small chance the young man could have done it," Nanami continued to speak as he opened the doors that lead to the roof. We opened our umbrellas and walked outside.

"But identifying him is the police's-" As soon as my ears perked up, I quickly looked behind me. I narrowed my eyes.

"Lu, lu, lu, lunchbox!" My eyes landed on a small horse looking-like curse. There was a small detail that I noticed, the curse had a watch on its left wrist. I thought that it was a bit off but decided to shut up about it. It turned its head on us, Itadori quickly tossed his umbrella away and got ready to fight it. But he got stopped by Nanami.

"I'll take care of this one. You can take care of the other two." He said. I could feel the pressure from my left side. I looked over my shoulder, there were two curses peeking from behind the wall.

"If anything goes wrong, let me know." Nanami said before walking towards one of the curses.

"We can handle it you know?" Itadori looked at him.

"My point is that I'm an adult, and you are children. I have a duty to prioritize your lives over my own." Nanami pointed out. I didn't think much of it, unlike Itadori.