chapter 3 - the missing children

edited 04/09/2021

CONTENT WARNING: kidnapping

Four parents entered the local police department the next day. Five children had disappeared from a party at Dream's Pizza. Most of them were friends, two of them siblings, and all of them between the ages of six and seven.

/////

"There's someone coming in, Phil," Eret called to their coworker in the kitchen as they continued prepping the dining hall for the next day of parties.

The person who entered the room did not appear to be a parent looking for something their child left behind as Eret expected. They wore a smart blazer and had a serious, almost severe expression on their face. The sudden shift in atmosphere in the pizzeria made Eret incredibly uncomfortable; it was as if the stranger was studying her for missteps and weaknesses.

"Are you the manager here?" the stranger asked, looking up at Eret and making him even more nervous.

"No, I'll go- I'll go get him," Eret stammered, walking as fast as he could without looking strange toward the kitchen door, "Phil? Someone's asking for a manager."

Phil stepped out of the kitchen, wiping his hands on his apron. He immediately felt the change in the air as he stepped into the dining hall with Eret and the stranger. He threw a concerned glance to Eret.

"I'm the manager here tonight, what's going on?"

The stranger took a step forward and pulled out their phone, showing images of children.

"I'm a detective with XXXX. Five children disappeared from this facility this morning, were you aware of this?"

Eret and Phil felt like they had whiplash. Missing kids? Despite the jokes and rumors, Dream's was an overall well-renowned establishment. Phil felt like throwing up at the thought.

The stranger continued.

"Five children disappearing from a party in broad daylight is unheard of, especially in this neighborhood. I'm going to need a list of everyone who was working this morning, anyone who had access to the facility."

"We'll provide anything we can to help you," Phil offered, both concern and determination present in his eyes. He knew he was a father figure to a lot of the younger people he worked with, and he cared about a lot of them like his actual children. He would go to the ends of the earth to get them back if anything happened to them.

Phil hoped to God that those kids were okay.

/////

Y/N entered Dream's Pizza at 11:30, hoping to spend some time with Eret (and possibly Phil, who usually ran closing with her) and help close out the shift. The pizzeria they entered was not the one they entered the night before.

"Eret? Are you okay?"

Eret certainly was not okay. He had his head in his hands leaning over the prize counter, with his elbows on the table. Y/N wasn't sure how long he had been standing there, and frankly, neither was Eret.

Eret looked up at Y/N, looking tired and afraid. Their appearance jarred Y/N.

"What's wrong?"

Eret sighed and sat down at one of the tables.

"I- uh... apparently five kids went missing from the pizzeria this morning. Detective thinks someone who works here has something to do with it," Eret explained. Y/N understood quickly why he was in the state he was in.

"Someone who works mornings? That would be Niki, Karl, Alex, Tubbo..." Y/N trailed off. There's no way any of their friends had anything to do with this, right? Who could it have possibly been?

"And Bill."

"Bill?" Y/N racked their brain and couldn't find a face.

"He just switched from closing today, I think, it would make sense if you haven't met. He usually walks around in the mascot suit giving out tickets."

Y/N was shaken at the thought of any of her coworkers causing this. They could barely imagine how Eret felt after speaking with the detective.

"Eret, go home man. You need to rest, okay? Take it easy. I can wait for Fundy on my own."

"Yeah, I think I will. All of the cleaning is done so you don't need to worry about it. I appreciate it Y/N." Eret seemed out of touch, like he was lost in thought and the pizzeria was spotless; Y/N guessed Eret probably stress-cleaned the entire place twice before they got there. Y/N hoped he would be okay.

Eret left with a promise that he would drive safe and Y/N was alone in the pizzeria. They sat at the same table as yesterday, looking up at the massive animatronics. Y/N couldn't help but feel that there was something sinister in their expressions tonight. When Fundy burst through the door and greeted them, however, they brushed it off as paranoia.

/////

The second night of working the late shift was largely the same as the first one. Fundy continued working on his project while Y/N watched the cameras (and got distracted by their partner every few minutes).

After an hour, Y/N saw something that shook them to their core.

"Uh, Fundy? Fundy? Fundy, check this out!" Y/N felt themself begin to shout, panicked. They weren't sure if it was the paranoia getting to them or if they were in serious danger.

"What's going on? Are you okay, Y/N?"

Y/N pointed at Camera 1A, shaken. Sapnap, Dream, and George stood in perfect order on stage, just as usual.

"Were they always facing the camera?"

"Holy shit, no they weren't. The camera shows them from the right." Fundy stood and took control of Y/N's computer, clicking to Pirate Cove. Star-covered curtains hid Bad from the cameras. Y/N's eyes widened.

"Eret didn't draw those curtains."

Fundy turned, primed to slam the door button.

"It's not a bear we need to be afraid of."

(A/N: Just to be clear, Bill isn't Wilbur! I know they're both named William but I don't like making real-person characters into villains unless it makes sense for the story. I hope you're enjoying so far! Things are gonna start to get... murdery.)