Chapter Thirty-Seven

Start from the beginning

Lauren frowns sadly, prompting Molly to drop her phone and nudge her shoulder. "He does like you. Don't let Camilla ruin that, she's delusional."

"Right," Lauren says, agreeing. "Delusional and a bitch."

"The qualities every guy wants in a girl," Molly says.

Lauren laughs and then checks her watch. "We should probably start getting into our costumes, the party starts soon."

"What are you going as again?"

"Catwoman," Lauren says, winking as she stands up. "Black latex with a tail. I'd like to see Camilla compete with that."

Molly looks down at her store-bought red riding hood costume. It isn't sexy or tight like Lauren's costume but it's still short enough to make her anxious about wearing it. She takes the costume into the bathroom and tries her best to squeeze into the small white and red dress. She ties the red cape with a hood around her throat and she glances in the mirror. It reminds Molly more of Christmas than it does Halloween. Her hair has been extra curled and tied up with a clip so it falls right down her back. Her face has been painted like a model and she's starting to get used to the big eyelashes and sparkly eyeshadow. She pulls up her skin-coloured tights to add warmth to her legs and then spends around ten minutes attempting to click her black heels together.

When she walks out of the bathroom Lauren is already ready and is sat drinking wine on the couch. Her costume is so tight that Molly wonders if it'll snap. Lauren doesn't seem to find it very comfortable and she adjusts the jumpsuit as she fidgets.

"I poured you one," Lauren says.

"Thanks."

"When are you seeing Alan again?" Lauren asks.

"Monday," Molly says.

"At least your hangover will be gone by then."

"He knows anyway. I don't keep anything from him. He thinks that I'm substituting alcohol for Charlie."

Lauren laughs. "That's exactly what you're doing."

"No, it isn't. I'm just trying to make a hard thing easier." Molly takes a big sip of her wine and tries not to give in to the truth. "I'd rather feel drunk than feel nothing."

Lauren looks at her sadly. "Do you know how many times I hear that from kids at the hospital?"

"If it gets me through the week who cares?" Molly finishes the glass and then grabs the bottle, pouring herself another. Lauren doesn't say anything, but she's passing judgement with her glare.

"Are you sure you want to do this?" Lauren says. "Parties aren't the ideal place to self-destruct. Trust me, I've been there."

"I'm not you," Molly mumbles. "I'm fine. I'm not self-destructing, I'm just doing exactly what everyone else is doing. I know you're worried but you don't have to be."

"Alright," Lauren says, as she watches Molly finish the second glass in less than a minute. "If you say so."

Time once again escapes Molly's attention. Her head is throbbing and her stomach is filled with a warm, fuzzy feeling as she exits the cab. Some people approach her on the street and she doesn't recognize her friends straight away. Sammy is dressed in a superwoman costume; Louise's costume resembles something from a horror movie but Molly isn't sure which one and Henry and Moe are both dressed as eccentric scientists with white coats and frizzy wigs. Molly introduces them to Lauren while attempting to act sober but her feet are carrying her towards the house without a glance back.

She rings the doorbell repeatedly, swaying on the porch as she waits.

"Looks like every house on this street is having a party tonight," Louise says as she joins Molly at the porch. "I like your costume."

Remember This✔On viuen les histories. Descobreix ara