Chapter 10: Tripper

Start from the beginning

Fred recovered first and said,
"Don't tear yourself up over it. It was just another day."
Ryn lowered and sat down on the stairs. She couldn't believe herself. The skin on her bones felt foreign. She'd never forgotten his birthday. Not once. It wasn't her. Not the real her. The real her would've made sure he and George woke up somewhere great and amazing and away from the stress of work, and she would've seen to it they had fun. And presents and love and everything she could give them.
Shock became a steady silence in her.
"Ryn?"
He said, and crouched down on the steps. He met her eyes. She had a feeling hers were empty.
"Auxuère?"
He said again, this time more quietly. His hand reached out and rested on her shoulder. She swallowed and blinked,
"I'm sorry I- you must hate me."
"Don't be silly, Auxuère."
"You must! I- its my fault, too. One of the most special days in the year passed by me and I didn't blink. I can't believe I- I'm so sorry, Fred. I-"
"You think it was one of the most special days in the whole year? Best not say that to George, his head will get even bigger, with his gigantic ego and all."
"Fred, it's not funny-"
"I completely agree. I'm thinking of having him looked at, it's so bad."

Besides herself, Ryn cracked a smile at his joke. Fred grinned warmly and moved his hand from her shoulder to her jaw, and his thumb gently brushing against her cheek as he said,
"There you are."
She glanced down, partly in shame. It made her heart swell to know that he was trying to make her feel better about it, but the truth still lay stamped in messy ink on white parchment. She'd forgotten his birthday. She'd forgotten him. And George.
"Come on, then. Let's go help mum."
He said, before standing and making his way down the staircase. She sniffed and followed after him.
~~~~

At the table, Ryn, the twins, Ron, Ginny, Molly and Arthur all sat at the table, talking happily.
Molly had sent for Ron and Ginny by owl to come for dinner, and they had greeted Ryn with warm hugs and smile.
"If you don't mind, Ryn, what happened? I don't recall seeing you after the battle at hogwarts."

Arthur said, and the whole table quieted. Molly glared daggers at her husband and Ryn tried to not look unsettled. Next to her, Fred pressed his leg into hers in comfort. So he had flashed back to their argument, too. Her own words echoed in her mind.
I'm scared of her-
Ryn cleared throat, and tried to meet Arthur's eyes.
She threatened me with you-
"Um, well, I...I had family issues. But that doesn't excuse me for leaving the way I did. I'm terribly sorry, to all of you. Truly. I'd have never done it, if I could have a do-over."
Molly and Arthur softened their expressions, because they were both unfortunately familiar with the horrid witch that had been Ryn's mother. Ron, forever the ice breaker, piped up,
"Blimey, that's a relief!"

Fred plopped a roast potato piece into his mouth and was two chews in when Ron continued with,
"We all thought you were pregnant or something-"
Fred choked on the potato and his knee slammed into the underside of the table so hard it rattled everyone's plates and glasses.
Ryn flinched as water spilt onto her, and Fred broke out in a coughing and wheezing fit.
Ginny laughed loudly as Molly gaped and George slammed his hand into Fred's back. Eventually, he recovered and gasped, coughing.
"You alright, dear?"
Molly breathed, a hand on her chest. Fred nodded and waved her off, reaching for his glass and sculling the entire thing.
All of the water within the tall glass was gone in about three seconds.
Ryn felt like curling into a little ball and disappearing. God, save me, she thought. Ron looked around as if he hadn't just suggested that Ryn had disappeared because she was pregnant with Fred's baby and had gone into hiding or something.
"What?"
Ron said, looking around confusedly.

By the nest sound that came out of him Ryn guessed that Fred had kicked him in his shin. Hard. Ron winced and said,
"Not that you were, obviously. I mean otherwise you wouldn't look so good-"
Fred kicked him again. Ginny let out another cackle and Arthur looked terribly embarrassed. George continued eating as if everything were right with the world, piling meat and potatoes and vegetables into his mouth while he watched everyone with a grin on his face. Molly tried to then salvage the conversation,
"A-Ah, Ryn, dear?"
"Yes?"
Ryn said quickly, desperate to change the topic.
"How goes your fathers family? Olivia mentioned a get-together in a week or so?"