Two

2020
3:33 pm
Busan.

The subway was crowded with tourists.

"Because it's the cherry blossom season, hyung." Changkyun explained. "And that means 'exotic' festivals." His tone dropping in sarcasm.

Kihyun popped a chewing gum nonchalantly. "Everything looks 'exotic' to these foreigners."

"You know what happened at school today? Remember Jaehyung? The guy who got caught smoking on the rooftop? Well guess what, he did it again but not alone. This time he had his friends with him and the Dean......"

Kihyun only nodded, focusing on the young Russian girl slowly pacing towards them. Bagpack slinging carelessly over her shoulder, expensive watch on the wrist, earphones on, her eyes glued to her phone.

Changkyun's train arrived just on time. The moment he parted ways with his friend, Kihyun took his chewing gum out of his mouth and stick it on a passersby's backpack carelessly like a ruffian he is.

The tourist was busy shuffling through her music as she bumped into someone and they fell down. Hard.

"Aah!"

Guilty, the tourist dropped her bag and immediately helped the guy up "Are you alright?"

"Just a little dizzy." Said the boy with a hand on his head. His forehead bleeding a little.

"Oh my god, are you sure?!" Her face red with embarrassment.

"It's alright." Kihyun looked up and gave that boyish smile. Something lit up in his eyes that couldn't be missed by the tourist. It never does. "But could you please get me some water from over there?" He pointed at a nearby water dispenser. "You can leave that bag here."

It was hard to look away from his eyes for her. She was in a strange state of mind, kind of like a trance. "S-sure thing." She said and rushed over.

When she got back, the boy was gone. And so was her bagpack.

Kihyun jumped at the police siren wailing down the street. He cursed under his breath at his own stupidity, knowing that the alley was safe from their radar. The place has always been safe for him. So far.

He quickly pulled the contents out of the stolen bag: cosmetics, sanitary pads, a passport, some more cosmetics. He rolled his eyes and turned the bag upside down impatiently and there it was - her wallet. He emptied it as quickly as he pickpocketed some more on his way out of the station. He has fast fingers that slide in and out of people's pockets in a blink of an eye. The cash wasn't enough collectively but it would hold him down for a week.

It has always been like this for Kihyun. He'd steal, mug, and con people just so he could get some food for his baby sister. It doesn't make him happy but it gets him by hassle free. What would he do when life kicks him down to this level? No one would hire a cripple like him. If only it wasn't for his landlord beating the shit out of him to kick them out, he wouldn't have to limp like a bitch.

But life wasn't so cruel to him either. Ever since that night of december, there's some mystic in his eyes that works like magic for a fleeting second, even though he doesn't quite understand it, but a fleeting second is all he needs. If anything the street life has taught Kihyun, it is how to grab an opportunity.

A familiar pain gripped him in it's vile embrace. He clutched his head.

It was the price he pays for deploying the magic in his eyes.

×××××

2020
3:33 pm
Ilsan