Episode 4 - First Meeting

En başından başla

《How can I expect to live normally if I can't do the simpler things? Maybe I'm more naive than you think, Dr. Ackroyd...》  You said it in a low voice, even if you wanted to state it openly.

You gave him a short smile and passed him to tuck the patient's blankets.

《It's pretty cold tonight and the way to cheer sleep is by staying warm...》  Ackroyd looked at you without saying anything, probably because he just wanted to and when you left he thought again of your genuine smile.

* * *

You went outside, before returning to the room, and looked at the black sky, but slightly illuminated by the light of the moon. Now you looked at it differently, as if it had become a point of reference for you.

You went out without any shawl or anything to cover you from the cold, as you didn't feel it. When you were with other people, you always tried to avoid physical contact and that was why you covered the patients thoroughly...for fear they might feel your cold touch.

You caressed your smooth cheek. Even if you couldn't see it, you imagined it like the color of the moon.

《There are no stars tonight...》

The place was frighteningly quiet, but pleasant. You didn't know where to go and that place was the safest for you. Even the dark didn't scare you anymore.
The window of your room was right above you, but you decided to walk there to prevent some hospital staff in seeing you do supernatural things...in front of the entrance, some patients were really in serious condition and you could perceive it from the speed of their beat that went slower and slower. The doctors were trying their best, but despite this there were still losses and the corpses were carried out, to free the therapy places and prevent them from infecting the healthy ones.

You climbed the stairs without anyone stopping you. Apparently, there was no one on the first floor...but the smell of the air had changed, as if some stranger had passed.

《I don't know this smell...》  You followed the trail of its perfume and unexpectedly it brought you in front of your door. Someone had entered just before and was still in there.

You turned the handle to open. A man stood in front of you, in a long dark blue coat. You could only see his back, but he didn't look like Dr. Reid...
He was reading something, because you suddenly heard the sound of a closed book.

《It took you a while to get there...were you on the hunt for food, vampire?》  His low voice was unknown to you, so was his face as he turned and tossed the book he was holding.

You widened your eyes and a lump in your throat prevented you from speaking. You felt your own heart beating as if it was about to come out of your chest and you shook your hands nervously.

His footsteps made you back away. His blue eyes looked at you with extreme attention and obvious contempt and just looking at him made you feel uncomfortable, if not terrified.

《W-who are you, sir?》  You could have noticed a sword tied to his side and hidden by the cloak, but still visible. He couldn't be an ordinary citizen...

He began to laugh as if you had said something nonsense.

《Pff, this is the first time a vampire shows such courtesy...really disappointing...who do you think I could be?》

The only thing you wanted to do was walk away, but he grabbed you to stop you from doing so.

《So you're the monster who attacked my soldiers? I wonder how you did it, judging by your reaction...or are you already afraid of me?》