v

"We baked," Safaa announces as soon as the witch opens his door, holding up the plate with their cake carefully and shivering slightly when another breezes brushes over them.

"Oh?" the witch laughs, looking slightly startled, smiling brightly and bending down to her slightly. "What for?"

"As a thank you for finding me," Safaa says. "Even though I didn't need to be found," she adds to Zain, glaring slightly.

"Not for your sake, no," the witch agrees, running a hand through his hair. He's not wearing a bandana today and it falls freely and curly into his face, messy and soft. Zain wants to touch it. "But for your brother's it was very important. I like the bracelet you made him," the witch adds, reaching out to touch it where it is back on Zain's wrist, his eyes never leaving Safaa. "You worked very hard on it, didn't you?"

"Yes," Safaa says, leaning back against Zain, while Zain is trying to seem calm and unaffected even though it feels like his wrist is burning from the short brush of skin. "But it was ages go. Do you like cake?" she asks, holding up the plate she is carrying some more.

"I do," the witch says, straightening and taking the plate form her.

"It's apple," Safaa explains. "Because we have too many apples in our garden."

"Apples are nice," the witch smiles. "Do you want to come in? I just made tea, we could share it. Cake is better when shared, isn't it?"

"Sure," Safaa answers before Zain can decline the offer. "What's your name? I'm Safaa, I'm gonna be a witch when I grow up."

"Yea?" the witch smiles. "I think you will be a marvellous witch, Safaa," he says, watching her crouch down to pet the cat.

"I think so, too," Safaa nods, scratching the cat under the chin. "But what's your name?"

"Harry," the witch answers, shooting Zain a look.

"That's not a very witchy name," Safaa says, disappointed, scratching her fingers lightly over the cats belly.

"It's the one my mother gave me," Harry shrugs, turning around. "Come in, you can pet him inside."

"Come, kitty," Safaa says, picking the cat up and kissing his nose. "What's his name?"

"That's Louis, he's a little shit," Harry says, making Safaa laugh in delight. "What's your name?" he adds to Zain, taking a pale pink tea pot off the counter and carrying it to a small table in front of an open fireplace, gesturing Safaa to sit down. It's barely noon but there are candles burning everywhere, which made the whole cottage seem warm and friendly despite the overcast day.

"I'm Zain," Zain says, feeling his cheeks flush. They've interacted thrice now, and he's not once remembered to ask for the witch's name, or to offer his own.

"I have black tea, Zain," Harry says. "If you'd rather. Safaa and I will have mint. It's refreshing."

"I- mint is fine," Zain says, watching awkwardly as Harry plates three slices of cake and pulls three cups from the cupboard, all different colours and shapes and sizes. "Should I?" he adds, even more awkwardly, gesturing to the plates.

"Yes, thank you," Harry smiles and walks towards the small table with the precariously stacked cups and one of the plates, setting everything down carefully before letting himself fall onto the floor beside Safaa. 

Zain follows them awkwardly, handing Safaa one of the plates, and takes a forkful of his own for lack of anything else to do.

"It's good cake," Harry praises them, though he is looking at Safaa. "Did you make it?"

"A bit," Safaa shrugs. "I don't like cooking, but Zain says I should pretend it's potions," she explains, putting her feet into Zain's lap and tickling the cat with her braid. 

"That's good advice," Harry says, looking at Zain intently again and making Zain remember Mrs Jenkin's warning about getting eaten again.

"Did you really use a finding spell to find me?" Safaa asks through a mouthful of cake. "Zain said you were really fast, but I read that finding spells take ages because they're hard. And with an old bracelet, too!"

"It was easier because you made it for him with so much love and he wore it with such love," Harry says, leaning towards her slightly. "But shush," he adds, putting one of his fingers to his mouth, the stone on his ring glinting in the candlelight, his nail polish chipped. Zain's never been this attracted to a finger before. "We can't talk about witching secrets in front of others."

"Oh," Safaa says, both excited and disappointed at once, shooting Zain a look.

"But," Harry says, also shooting Zain a look, taking a sip of his tea. "When you and your brother come visit tomorrow, I can teach you about finding spells while he cuts my firewood."

"Zain?" Safaa asks, making her eyes big and round and sticking out her lower lip.

"Sure," Zain says slowly, because there hadn't been a question in Harry's words and he's not about to argue with a witch he's indebted to. 

Harry smiles at him before leaning forward to pour more tea. 

"I like your house," Safaa says, still snuggling with the cat, who is purring contently. 

"Thank you," Harry smiles, laying down beside her to tickle the cat with his own tail. "I like it, too. What do you like the most?"

Zain watches them, wondering if letting his sister be taught by a witch truly was the best idea. But she looked so happy and content and it would mean he could see Harry more often, Harry who seem to look more gorgeous every time Zain saw him.

🌿

did i make louis a cat in this? maybe i did...