iv

"Good evening, neighbour," the witch says when he opens his door, smiling down at Zain and keeping a black cat from straying outside with his foot.

"Good evening," Zain says, swallowing against the flutter in his stomach. "Sorry to bother you. But I'm looking for my sister, she's eight. She's run off and I thought," he hesitates, suddenly feeling dumb. Safaa wouldn't have run this far, not even in a strop. "She wants to be a witch when she grows up, I thought, maybe." He shakes his head, rubbing a hand through his hair. "Nevermind," he says lamely and tries to think of somewhere Safaa could have gone, trying to ease the panic in his chest with rational thoughts.

"I can help," the witch says. "I have not seen her, but if you have something of her, I can find her for you."

"I don't," Zain says, shaking his head and scrubbing his hand over his face again. He hasn't even thought to grab her jacket.

"Your bracelet," the witch says, reaching out but not quite touching Zain. "Did she make it?"

"Yea," Zain says, hooking his finger through it and twisting it around slightly. "She did. But ages ago."

"It will be more than enough," the witch smiles, holding his door open in invitation.

Zain hesitates for a moment, but there really was no other way. His mother and sisters were looking and they'd already been everywhere Safaa usually went, and even some places she rarely visited. His mum had not been happy when Zain had suggested trying the witch's cottages, but she was as desperate as he was and Zain would give his soul if it would mean Safaa was unharmed, so whatever payment the witch would want would be nothing.

The cottage looks almost normal, a bit like his mother's hippie friend's flat - who was definitely not a witch - with too many plants and books lying around everywhere, wood and copper and herbs everywhere.

"Get down, Lou," the witch says, pushing at a black cat sat on the kitchen counter and pulling open a cupboard. The cat eyes Zain with an unimpressed expression before slowly hopping off the counters and sauntering out of the room.

"Let me just," the witch says, spreading herbs on the table and taking Zain's arm, fiddling with his bracelet.

"It won't come off," Zain says, "I haven't taken it off since she gave it to me."

"I know," the witch smiles, bending closer.

Zain blinks in astonishment when he knot unravels easily under the witch's fingers.

"Oh," he says and the witch winks at him.

"Magic," he says with a grin before turning serious, frowning as he puts the bracelet in the little circle of herbs, holding his hands above it and falling still.

Zain watches him, the way he seems to glow even in the artificial light of his kitchen, his lashes and the way his nose curves down slightly with the way he has pressed his lips together.

"She's at the old mill," the witch says, opening her eyes and looking at Zain, his pupils blown. "She's fine."

"That was quick," Zain says, wanting to slap himself. He had completely forgotten about the old mill because Safaa had declared she didn't like it when she was five and not gone there since. He scrubs a hand over his face to pull himself out of it, turning to leave the kitchen. It was just a ten minute walk away, five if he hurried, he can't quite believe that he hasn't thought of it himself.

"It's easy when you love her this much," the witch says, following him to the door and pressing the bracelet into Zain's hands. "I'll see you around."

"I, yes," Zain says, already halfway down the stairs, rushing towards the mill. He's halfway there when he remembers that he didn't even say thank you, or offer anything as payment. He would need to go by tomorrow, or else he'd end up with herpes or syphilis or something,

"Safaa," he calls when sees the mill's ruins and the light of a torch between them.

"I'm not talking to you!" Safaa calls back and Zain feels ready to weep with relief. She's safe and sound between the ruins, a blanket under her and one wrapped around her, a thermos and a tubberware box next to her, glaring up at him.

"You can't just run away like that," Zain says, sitting down next to her and pulling her into a hug, kissing her head. "We worried."

"I'm fine," Safaa says, leaning into him despite everything. "I'm gonna be a witch, a witch is always fine in the woods."

"Of course," Zain agrees, kissing her head again and breathing in her strawberry shampoo. "But until you are a witch, please don't run away into the woods, especially not at night, and especially not without telling anyone. You scared us."

"Only if mum stops telling me I can't be a witch," Safaa says.

"She just worries," Zain says. "But I will talk to her. Even if she doesn't listen, though, please don't run off."

"How did you find me?" Safaa says instead of answering, tilting her head back. "I never go to the mill, I thought you'd forget about it."

"I went to the witch," Zain says, stroking her hair.

"You did?" Safaa asks, her eyes going wide. "Really? How did he find me?"

"I don't know," Zain says, pulling her bracelet from his pocket. "He used this."

"A finding spell?" Safaa whispers in awe, taking the bracelet from Zain and tying it around his wrist again. "Those are hard!"

"Really?" Zain asks with a frown. "It was really quick."

"He must be powerful," Safaa breathes, her whole face light up in awe. "To use just a bracelet I made for you ages ago! I read that it's easiest if it's something I possessed and recently."

"Where did you read that?" Zain asks, pulling her up with him.

"Library," Safaa says, reluctantly folding her blankets. "I'm not talking to mum, though. Can I sleep in your room tonight?"

"Alright," Zain sighs. It'll be good for his sake as well, when he wakes up and can see her right away, to know that she hasn't run off again. "But you gotta apologise to mum for running away."

"We'll see," Safaa says, stuffing her tubber wear into her backpack.

🌿

I have ideas™️ will I manage to get them written down? We shall see