e i g h t e e n

For the first time, when Lillian Ariana Smith entered Hogwarts, she wasn't happy. The place was cold, and dark and gloomy and nothing Lily felt reminded her of her years as a Hogwarts student. When she arrived, everyone was hustling about. First years were being rushed to the common rooms, many of whom, Lily noticed, had cuts and scars over their faces and arms.

"Lily?"

The girl whipped around, not to know whether to feel relief or emotional about the man who stood in front of her. He'd changed quite a bit. For one, his hair was all grown out and tied into a short ponytail at the nape of his neck, and he now sported a stubble.

"Higgs." Lily whispered, slapping a hand over her mouth.

She ran and hugged him. "It's been so long. Almost six years I think." she chuckled as tears of joy trailed down her face.

"Not the circumstances I would have preferred a reunion over, but Merlin it's good to see a familiar face." he grinned, his smile hadn't changed a bit. There was a scream in the background and then both of them remembered what was actually going on. "We'll catch up after. I'm going to make sure none of the first years have sneaked outside to help." he said, his tone serious.

Lily nodded, not knowing what she was going to do yet. "We'll meet soon Terry." she breathed, almost as if she was assuring herself. "We'll meet soon."

The boy gave her one last hug before dashing off up the staircases and Lily made her way down.

Until she saw bumped into someone. Another redhead. This time, she definitely cried as she hugged her arms around him tightly, much to his shock.

"Percy. Oh I'm so glad you're here." she cried. "I'm so sorry I walked away that night. I'm so sorry I didn't tell you about the Order and-"

She was silenced as Percy smashed his lips against her.

Everything around them seemed to stop for a moment as his lips devoured hers and Lily kissed back, doing her best to keep up with his pace, pouring all of her feelings and emotions into that one kiss. After what felt like only a second, they separated. Percy was the first to speak.

"I'm a pompous jerk. An absolute dummy, for letting you go just like that." he said, letting out a wild laugh. "And I'm sorry I said all those things – I –"

Lily silenced him by pulling him into another kiss. "I love you." she mumbled against his lips. "Do you love me?" she breathed, resting her forehead against his.

Percy leaned in and pecked her lips once more. "I never stopped Lil." he watched as the light returned in the girl's eyes. "I listened to you. I made up with them, my family. Just a few moments ago." he said. "I was an idiot."

There was a sound from outside and a glow. The shield around the school was being broken.

"I need to go to the Potions room." Lily said. "Dad said he left something for me there."

Percy squeezed her hand. "I'm heading to the Room of Requirement. Head there as soon as you get what you need, okay? I need to know you're safe." he looked right into her green eyes. She shook her head yes.

There was a small boom in the distance, and through the window, Lily saw the bridge crumble.

"Perce..."

"I know Lil." he whispered, gently kissing her head. "I know."

Lily was on her way to the Potions room when she heard a voice full of protests coming from the Dungeons. The actual dungeons, which hadn't been used in years.

She stopped and her eyes widened as she saw an angry lot of Slytherins cursing a retreating Flich. She had never been a huge fan of Slytherins, but she could tell they wanted to defend their home too. Wand out, she was about to break the gates when someone beat her to it from behind her.