chapter 1 - night guards

(A/N: ah yes, my two obsessions: FNAF and fundy. I haven't written in maybe two years so I'm trying to get back into it with fanfics, welcome to my debut. please enjoy your stay. also this may be ooc while I get into it I'm still working on writing in character lmao

additional information: Dream's Pizza isn't exactly the same as Freddy's and the lore is slightly different, but this fic takes place in a pizzeria with the same layout as FNAF 1 and the animatronics are mostly equivalent to the FNAF 1 animatronics in their behavior. also, Y/N uses they/them pronouns, sorry if you don't)

edited 04/09/2021

Y/N paced back and forth on the carpeted floor of Dream's Pizza, annoyance flashing through their eyes and arms waving wildly as they complained.

"Niki, can't you switch someone else? Anyone else?"

"I'm sorry, I don't have any control. You're the only person available who's completed security guard training." Niki responded, sympathy in her eyes as she attempted to calm down her exasperated friend. Y/N responded with a sigh.

"Can't you just pull some strings and shove someone else in? It wouldn't be the first law this shitty restaurant broke." Y/N half-joked. Dream's had a questionable reputation, due in one part to rumors about bad hygiene regarding their pizza (and Y/N would never confirm nor deny these rumors) and in another part to the booming popularity of a certain pizzeria-based horror game that had been released recently.

Niki placed her head in her hand for a second. "Y/N, I can't put an untrained employee in the night guard shift just because some people think Five Nights at Freddy's is based on a true story. As far as I know, Fundy's never even seen them move and he's been working the night shift for months."

Seeing how exasperated their manager was becoming, Y/N couldn't help but feel bad for stressing Niki out more. Niki's managerial role came with the constant stress of bad pr, teenagers coming in for their shifts high and hungover, kids screaming and running and breaking the machines, and recently night guards quitting repeatedly. She almost wanted to blame Fundy for his partners quitting week after week, but she had a sneaking suspicion it might have something to do with the success of Five Nights at Freddy's. Paranoia got the best of them, she guessed.

Y/N stopped pacing and looked at their friend, seeing the stress clear in her expression. "I'm sorry Niki, I know you've been having a hard time."

Niki let out a strained but genuine smile. "It's alright Y/N. I only need you to work the night shift until I can find a replacement, okay?"

"Alright, I'll do it. I mean, if they've never moved before, why would they start now?"

Y/N laughed.

/////

Y/N loved working at Dream's Pizza, despite its reputation. They'd gone to the pizzeria annually since they were a child. When their best friend Niki helped them get a job there on their 20th birthday (yay, nepotism!), they couldn't help their nostalgic excitement. Dealing with screaming and crying kids and needing to clean the arcade games wasn't ideal, but Y/N felt that the friends they made on the job and the above-average pay more than made up for it.

Y/N wasn't so sure about that anymore. The bags under their eyes due to their lack of sleep seemed to physically weigh them down as they walked like a zombie into the darkened restaurant. It was 20 minutes until midnight and Y/N had barely an hour of sleep between their final morning shift and their first night shift. Eret greeted them with a smile as they entered, her body accustomed to being awake this late.

"Woah dude, you okay? You look like you've died ten times over," he said with a laugh as Y/N hobbled over to their employee locker.

"Eret," Y/N began, too tired to be annoyed by his comment, "I wake up at 5:30 every day for my shift. I was given zero days to adjust to this new schedule and I woke up 20 minutes ago."

Eret laughed again and continued to wipe down the counters; one of the last of his tasks before his shift ended. Rolling their eyes, Y/N pulled out their new night guard uniform and entered the bathroom to change. Splashing their face with water made them feel slightly more prepared to face their shift. Slightly. 

Y/N decided to spend the rest of their time before 12 helping Eret close out her shift. They used to work the closing shift when they were starting out at Dream's, seeing as it wasn't the most desirable shift. That's how they met Eret, who quickly became one of their closest friends. They admired her positive and helpful nature; she was always able to cheer her up and she served as their biggest mentor at the pizzeria. Y/N was appreciative of Eret as it wasn't exactly easy making friends, and it was nice to have someone to talk to when work got quiet.

Once they finished their cleaning and organizing duties for the night, Y/N and Eret sat at the central dining table, directly in front of the main animatronics, as they waited for Fundy to arrive.

"He does this every night," Eret explained as they casually examined the eerily still animatronics.

"Every night? Can't you leave early?"

"No, there needs to be someone in the pizzeria at all times according to Phil. Fundy's probably caught up in his coding anyway, it seems like he's always working on some new gamemode or data pack," Eret laughed before looking wistfully up at the animatronic center stage, "I don't mind, anyway. Sometimes it's nice to just sit here and think."

Y/N was curious about Fundy. They had never met before; Y/N had only heard about the mysterious coder who worked night shifts through Niki and Eret, who had apparently worked with him before he switched to the night shift and before Y/N was hired. Y/N wondered why he would voluntarily work nights for so long, especially with the slightly eerie feel of a completely empty restaurant and his partner quitting every other week. Y/N wondered about him a lot, actually. What he would look like? What would he sound like? Would he like them? Would they be friends? They hoped so. After all, the two would need to spend six hours every night together for the foreseeable future, depending on how quickly Niki could find a replacement. Y/N would be lying if they said they weren't excited to finally meet Niki and Eret's mysterious friend.

Y/N's anxious thoughts were interrupted by the bell above the door that signaled that someone was entering. They looked at their watch, which read 11:55: barely on time.

"Speak of the devil," Eret laughed as he waved at the newcomer.

"Devil? What do you mean?" came a voice from behind Y/N. They were surprised by the voice; they didn't expect him to sound like that. To be frank, they weren't sure how exactly they expected him to sound, more generic maybe? His voice was unique, different from any they had ever heard before up to that point. He had an accent that they couldn't pinpoint. His voice wasn't annoying by any means; it was actually very pleasant. It almost reminded Y/N of a bird or a fox as his words seemed to dance in the air towards them, and Y/N thought for a second that it was almost beautiful. They wondered if he could sing. Would he sing to them?

Y/N turned around and was met with another surprise. In the doorway stood a tall man, probably only a little shorter than Eret. His brown hair was slightly messy as it swept across his forehead. He looked slightly tired, Y/N guessed, from coding some sort of video game all day. His face was thin and angular, almost aquiline, and his eyes seemed deep, kind, and understanding. Y/N found themself lost in them for a moment, but only for a moment. They thought he was incredibly handsome, in the way a model may be.

These are normal thoughts to have about a new coworker, right?

Fundy walked towards Y/N and Eret, who stood up to greet him, with a tired smile playing on his face.

"Eret, what's up!" he greeted before looking to the stranger stood in front of him. Y/N saw him examine them for a second and they felt their face heat up slightly.

"Oh, hey! Nice to meet you, my name is Fundy!" he greeted, offering his hand for Y/N to shake.

Y/N's hand tingled as they accepted the handshake. They were certainly awake now if they hadn't already been woken up by the warmth that emanated from his voice and his eyes.

"Hi. I'm Y/N."