Happy's phone pings, and I push myself to my feet. "Let me guess, Peter and May are back?"

"Yeah, and he's really nervous."

I pause mid-motion of putting my backpack on "He told you that?"

"No, but he's using a lot of emojis, which is a sure sign." Happy says it so seriously that I can't help the laughter that bubbles out of me. "What? I know what emojis are, Lia. I'm not that old."

"I never said you were." I counter and secure my backpack on. "Alright. This is where I get off. Wish me luck."

"Why? You know where you're going."

"Yeah, but a shadow step isn't an exact science." I pause and look at Happy. "Don't tell Peter that or he'll freak out even more. Plus, I'm pretty sure it will be fine."

"Pretty sure is usually what Tony would say before something blew up."

"C'mon, Happy. You know me better than that."

"Yes, I do. Enough to know that you're just like Tony in that aspect."

"Oh, would you look at that. Gotta go. See you later, Happy!" I rush the words out as I mentally bridge the gap between the plane's cabin and Peter's apartment—specially his room, right in front of his bed in case I fall. Once I feel the connection made, I step forward, pushing my atoms through the familiar energy that when traveled this quickly feels like walking in mud.

I can see Peter's room in the distance, slowly nearing like the light at the end of a dark tunnel, and by the time my foot touches the ground again, I'm there. It's only then that I remember how much energy I just used up, but Peter is there, just like he promised. His arms wrap around my waist the same moment my knees buckle under me.

"Thanks, hot stuff." I manage to slur out and use the last bit of energy in me to collapse on Peter's bed instead fo the floor. "I'm gonna take a nap now."

Peter's laugh fills the room as he pulls his blankets over my arms. "Enjoy your nap then." I hold onto his hand so he can't walk away, and I don't need to open my eyes to know the exact soft smile on his face. A moment later, he's laying down next to me. It's the combination of his fingers gently running through my hair and the melody of his heartbeat that lulls me to sleep.

It feels like only minutes later that an alarm starts blaring me and startles me awake. Within a second I'm on my feet, shadow blade formed in my hand. My eyes dart around fully prepared for a fight with the adrenaline being pumped in my veins.

Movement outside the door catches my attention, and I press my back to the adjacent wall, ready to take down anyone that comes in. The door opens, and I swing my arm, blade in hand, before I can even register who it is.

Luckily, Peter's spider-sense kicks in, and he ducks low enough for the shadow blade to harmlessly swing above his head. "Woah," His arms pin mine at my side as the realization hits me like the train did to him in Berlin. The blade dissipates in a second as tears begin to stream down my face. "Hey, it's okay. I'm okay. You're okay. You're safe." Peter whispers hurriedly.

I want to tell him it's not okay, but my throat is too tight. My body is frozen in place, the only movement is the uncontrollable shaking. Peter's hand grab my face every so gently as he keeps reassuring me everything is fine.

"I'm sorry." I manage. "I didn't—I heard the alarm and—and—"

"You don't need to apologize, Lia." He tells me with eyes full of pain and sadness. "I'm okay, and you're still safe. That's all that really matters."

I nod, still feeling lost amidst the overwhelming numb. "What—um—what happened?"

"May was making her famous cookies and burnt them. When the alarm went off, I figured you'd panic and came to make sure you were okay."

"Which clearly I'm not."

"After everything that's happened, no one expects you to be perfectly okay." I bite my cheek and stare at the floor, which makes Peter tuck his fingers under my chin until I look at him. "Hey, stop blaming yourself."

"But I could have hurt you—or May." I shake my head. "Maybe this was a mistake."

"Don't say that. No one got hurt, and this wasn't a mistake. Okay?" He sighs when I don't answer. "I don't care what it takes, but I'm going to help you stop these people once and for all so you can come home for good without it feeling like a mistake."

I melt in his arms in relief, appreciation, and love. All I can manage to reply is a simple, "Okay." But I think he knows everything that I can't bring myself to say.

We stay like that for a little while, just silently reassuring that the other will always be there will always love them, and will always fight for them.