Prologue

The rain drizzled and cool air blew at night time. The county was eerily calm and quiet. People we're either sleeping or warmly tucked in and relaxed. It was just 8pm yet it seemed like it was far late at night. In a small apartment, a young woman sat comfortably with her dog right next to her on the couch. They were happily watching the news where the reporter talked about some government affairs then moved on to some security based reports. These past few days have been dangerous in Quinton County. Quinton was known for its natural feeling and the big forests, but these days, venturing into the woods was equivalent to signing a death warrant. "–the people are advised to stay indoors late at night as the town isn't safe at the moment. The government are doing all they can to ensure that the county is safe and they need your cooperation."

But Anna wasn't listening to the reports anymore, she was about dozing off when a loud thunder boomed, startling her awake. She turned to her dog and smiled, "whoa, I was startled for a second there boy."

The German Shepard continued to pant, clearly not bothered about the thunder.

Anna had always been a little afraid of the thunder, but was too shy to admit it to her friends. How could a twenty-two year old still be scared of thunder? It was embarrassing to admit.

"Let's go to bed now, Rusty"

On command, the dog leapt off the couch and led the way to the room they both shared. Rusty had a brown fluffy mat that he laid on near Anna's bed. She said a short prayer before she slept off.

The next day, She has classes at her university by 8am and she had overslept. By 7:45 she was an untamed mess. She had on faded black jeans and a blue button up long sleeve shirt along with white sneakers. Rusty barked to get her attention, wanting a pat on his head. But she was oblivious to his needs and kept running about trying to find her phone. Once it was found, she quickly poured some dog food for Rusty, picked her bag and left her apartment.

It was her last year in The University of Quinton County, she wanted to be a Veterinarian, because she loved animals so much. She got Rusty in her second year in University. He was such a fluffy hyper puppy, and her best friend.

Some students acknowledged her with waves as she passed by. Her auburn hair was packed back, it was long and wavy, almost touching her butt. All her life she's keep keeping her hair, everybody adored her brown locks. Anna got to class twenty minutes late, she chastised herself quietly in her head, not missing the stern look the lecturer gave her and took a seat next to a guy.

Lessons went on smoothly, she made notes and listened attentively. But she couldn't shake off the uncomfortableness she felt when the boy next to her just kept staring. She wasn't even sure he collected some notes. His hands folded strongly in front of him, his nose straight and pierced, and his eyes a piercing blue. They had this animalistic look in them that send chills down her spine.

As she continued to scribble down on her notepad, her pencil broke. She took a sharp breath and cursed within herself. Glancing at the guy next to her, she found him silently doodling on his notepad and tentatively she reached out to him. "Hi, uh, my pencil just broke. Do you have an extra pencil or maybe a sharpener?"

He kept doodling, not even bothering to give her a reply. Anna felt deflated, thinking, "maybe he just didn't hear me"

"Hey? Sorry to bother you but I need–"

He sighed inaudibly and turned to look at her. His eyes were unfriendly and very unwelcoming. He placed his pencil on her table, hoping she would stop speaking to him after that. But no, Anna's eyes lit up then she gave him a warm smile, to which he didn't return.

The bell rang and the mysterious stranger got up quickly, and proceeded to leave. "Hey! Wait for me!" But guess what?

He just kept walking.

Anna liked to think he didn't hear her. She ran up to him breathing like she just ran a marathon. "You sure do walk fast." She giggled nervously.

"So where to now?"

He stopped abruptly, turning to look at her he said, "look, I'd appreciate it if you stop following me."

She didn't know why but that sentence hurt her. She was only trying to be friendly and make new friends. It was her last year in university and she felt she had to make it count.

He wanted to talk away again but her voice stopped him. "Can I at least know your name?"

"It's Troy."

Hey there!

If you're seeing this then you've made it past the Prologue and I'm so happy about that! Keep reading and you won't regret it.

Social Media Handles:

Instagram: Itznickyn

Twitter: Itsnickyn