Chapter thirty three

The sky was dark, storm clouds creeping down off the hills and encroaching over Volterra, casting the castle into shadows deeper than the night already provided.

Celestine was asleep on the sofa, her hair slipping from it's ponytail as she led across the cushions, a thick throw draping over her shoulders and hips leaving her feet kicked out into the bare air. She found it near impossible to sleep without my company now, the longer we spent together the harder it was for her to be apart from me.

It was Christmas Day. We'd spent the entire day exchanging gifts, telling stories, cuddling in front of the fire and playing games. The guard had of course lived up to her request for a non-serious festive period. There had been pranks and joking, presents with no purpose other than causing a smile. Celestine had been very happy when Didyme and Athenodora made a physical appearance, albeit short. My sisters' were still in my bad-books, their attitude and selfish displays had yet to be fully forgiven.

I'd received a phone call from a dear friend, head of a coven in the Himalayas, and Celestine had insisted I take it rather than wait for a message. She'd accompanied me to my office and after the first ten minutes had fallen asleep on the sofa. Once she'd passed out there seemed to be little need to rush, and now I was lent against the window frame observing her peaceful form in the dying light of the fire.

Marcus and Caius entered just after midnight, I had moved only once to re-stoke the fire for continued warmth. Now listening to the distant sound of fat raindrops against the rooftops on the east side of the town my eyes were drawn from my sleeping beauty, to my two brothers.

"How precious," Marcus looks down at Celestine as he passes her silently. "I hope we aren't interrupting?"

"Not at all," I shake my head and stand. "She's been asleep for a good few hours now."

"Have they not designed items of furniture specifically for sleeping?" Caius frowns.

"I did not wish to disturb her, such consideration you will never understand, Caius."

Caius quirks an eyebrow in mocking.

"I gathered from earlier that Celestine, enjoyed the company of Didyme and Dora, I can confirm that my Didyme was incredibly pleased and very happy to have been allowed to see her again." Marcus says, his eyes still watching my mate sleeping soundly beneath the protection of the throw.

"Yes, I sometimes forget how few people there are to socialise with. Celestine was very pleased, I will consider allowing her to see them more frequently, perhaps after the births."

"Days away now," Marcus muses.

"Brilliant," Caius rolls his eyes.

"Have you not come round to the idea yet, dear brother?"

"No," Caius frowns deeper. "I wish nothing to do with either of them until they are large enough to fight and be useful."

"It won't take long," I remind him.

"When will you have yours?" Caius' frown had morphed into a smirk. As his lips upturned mine were forced down.

"Don't be an arse."

"I know it won't be too soon," he continues. "You're still allowing her to leave you...frustrated." Caius smirks boyishly.

"She's perfectly entitled not to want to make love to me," I sigh.

"Because she's already guessed how out of practice you are? Or that you're the big scary vampire, who may be too rough?"

Marcus rolled his eyes at Caius before I had opportunity to answer.