Two

I woke up with a headache and constant knocks at my door.

"Nandini if you don't get up then I will break the door." I heard my mother's threat.

"I am up." I shouted to stop her from getting in as I was still in my clothes from last night's sneak out.

"Good. Get freshen up. Sidharth is here." She said and I at once sat up hurting my head all the more than it actually was.

What if Sidharth knows what Manik said to me? No no. He cannot know. How will I face him. He loves his brother. He shouldn't know.

" Hurry up. "I heard my mother's shout once again.

I ran to washroom and got freshen up as fast as I could. I looked at the clock to realize that it was 1 in the noon.

Shit. I slept for too long.

I quickly moved down stairs to have something as my head kept on hammering.

"Hy." I tried to sound happy and fresh to not let anyone notice any change.

"How did you sleep for so long?" Mama asked and I looked at Sidharth who entered the kitchen on hearing my voice. We both exchanged looks as only he knew that I was late in the night for which I woke up late.

"It was Sunday so I thought of having a sound sleep." I lied very clearly and I couldn't hate myself anymore.

"How are you Murthy?" Sid asked trying to change the topic.

"Good and you?" I asked back.

He shrugged and our looks could say that we wanted to have a heavy conversation about yesterday's events.

In no way I am going to discuss what his arrogant, ill-mannered and selfish brother said to me.

"Both of you come and have breakfast" Mama called for us and both of us quietly moved outside to see the table fully arranged.

" Me and your father are going to market and after that we will be visiting your aunt so stay at home. If you go out then make sure to lock the door behind." My mother instructed me as if I were an infant. I simply nodded as my mind was already clouded with last night's events.

Mama and papa trusted Sidharth a lot. They clearly understood our friendship. We were undoubtedly best friends from any and every angle. Sidhrath in the starting days of our friendship made sure to have a good impression in front of my parents to let them have peace from us being friends.

"Son I hear that Manik is in town. Is it true ?" Papa asked coming out from his room wearing his wrist watch.

Stop taking that monster's name please.

"Yes uncle. He came yesterday. He will surely come and visit you." Sidharth told us and I already started praying for him to not show his face.

"I know how much respectful and obedient he is. May Christ be with him always." Papa blessed him and I saw my mother smiling as if Manik is her son.

Why everyone loves him so much despite of his arrogant attitude?

"Anyways we will get going. See you." Papa said and both of them moved out after kissing my forehead and bidding farewell to Sidharth affectionately.

Both of us sat opposite to one another and starting eating without saying a word.

It was awkward.

"Murthy I am sorry for last night." He said and I looked towards him to see him looking at me with guilt.

"It's not your fault Sid. I am equally at fault. Don't stress yourself. We will be careful next time." I tried my best to keep him at ease.