it's a revolution, i suppose

(lyrics: radioactive by imagine dragons)

Finnick couldn't get his conversation with Clementine out of his head

Finnick couldn't get his conversation with Clementine out of his head. On one hand, he understood that this man was just trying to protect his daughter, but on the other, it was too far. If Copper had come back, and not Clementine, he would have been traumatized enough already. Bale Wildflower would have made it much, much worse.

He saw her again the next day, while they were training. He admired her from afar at first. He was determined to make his way into her heart one day. Finnick had always adored the girl. He remembered rooting for her when she was inside the arena, and being pleased when she won. He remembered meeting her countless times after he'd won his games, and each time she looked more breathtaking than the last.

Finnick wasn't oblivious to how her life in the Capitol was. She was one of Snow's...toys, just like he was.

He watched as she swung her axe with force. Johanna was just as good, but he found himself mesmerized with every move Clementine took.

Finnick didn't think Clementine's heart had frozen over. Not one bit. He knew she was traumatized, but he knew there was a way to get past her frosty exterior. 

He wondered if Plutarch's plan would work. If they sacrificed themselves for Katniss Everdeen, would there be a stop to this? It was hard to imagine a world without the Games. Finnick, amongst many others, including Clementine wanted to watch Snow burn. Ironically enough.

Perhaps then, no victor would have to sell their bodies against their will. Maybe families could be happy — without a fear that their child would be the next tribute in the arena.

Finnick made his way over to Clementine causing Johanna to smirk.

"The only girl you can't seem to get, huh?" She asked him, putting her axe down for a moment.

"Bite me, Johanna." He whispered.

"Is that an invitation?" Finnick and Johanna bickered often. "Finnick, Clementine has sworn off making friends and especially finding new lovers. What makes you think you can convince her otherwise?" Johanna asked, crossing her arms.

"Because despite what she may say, a friend is exactly what she needs. The more friends you have in this world, the better. I won't pressure her into being my lover, Johanna. I just want her to give me a chance." Finnick explained.

Finnick had seen her in the Capitol, many, many times. Each time, she looked more defeated than the last. Finnick hid his feelings for what Snow forced him to do pretty well. So well, in fact that most people thought he liked it. The thought disgusted him — if they only knew what was really happening. Finnick didn't want multiple lovers — he wasn't a player, that's just how Snow made him out to be.

"You just gonna stand there and stare at me, pretty boy?" Clementine asked, putting her axe down, and taking a drink of water.

"Just wanted to ask if you'd teach me a few tricks with an axe? I could teach you how to properly tie knots, and Mags could teach you how she makes her fishhooks." Finnick proposed.

Clementine pondered for a moment.

"And why can't Johanna teach you? She's just as good as I am — better, actually."

"I told him to ask you. Thought it'd be fun. Now, if you need me, I'll be over there." Johanna smirked, waving at the two before walking away. Clementine huffed.

"Well, come on, then."

***

The time came for individual assessments. Finnick still watched Clementine. She'd said a few words to him — nothing much, but it still gave him butterflies.

When their scores came back, Finnick wondered what she'd done to earn a ten. Clementine was much stronger than when she'd first won her games. She had toned muscles from chopping wood — something that helped her anger issues. Finnick wondered if this girl had actually ever taken a break since she'd won all those years ago. It didn't look like it. Her eyes, that sparkled the first time he'd seen her in her interviews, had very little hope left in them. She had severe eye-bags, and she was always working on her skills with weapons. Honestly, it looked like she hadn't slept in ten years. Still, Finnick thought she was beautiful.

He didn't know why he was even trying — they were going into an arena to die. Johanna was right; he would never be able to convince her to let him in. In a few days, all but one would be dead, and with the deal they made with Plutarch, that one person was going to be Katniss Everdeen.

Laying in bed, he couldn't sleep. Too many thoughts circled in his head. He thought more about Clementine's father. Had he caused her to never trust anyone again?

Finnick had been rewatching his fellow victor's tapes again. Watching Beetee electrocute the other tributes to win; Katniss and Peeta daring to eat the Nightlock berries. Clementine's games made him sad. She'd clearly thought of Copper as a brother, and watching him die had hurt her severely.

He remembered watching them when they aired live, his parents sure that the youngest tribute would be one of the firsts to go. Only two years later, his name had been called, and he wondered if his parents thought the same about him. He had only been fourteen.

He remembered every single detail of his days in the arena, but he never spoke a word of it to anybody. Most victors were the same, besides the occasional career tribute who liked to gloat about their victory. District Four was technically a career district, but Finnick could never imagine willingly going into the arena. He remembered holding on to his stylist for dear life, begging her to not let them take him.

Of course, that hadn't worked, and that was why he was here today.

Finnick decided something that night. He would protect Katniss Everdeen, but he would also also protect Clementine Wildflower. Until his very last breath.