Source

I was losing consciousness, and unlike all I heard about drowning, my lungs hurt but the burn is not searing. She came back, I wasn't expecting it because I never even knew she existed. I am River Padilla and you're about to find out why I died.

The Padillas are well known in my little town, we've held the major political positions in town for as long as anyone could remember. What can I say other than the men in my lineage were not that ambitious, and it will be up to me to take us national.

Now that you know the basics, back to the present. I slammed the door of my Ferrari shut, mentally preparing myself for the start of a new school week. Araceli and Miguel walk up to me

"Ready?"

"You know I hate when you to do that"

"Do what?"

"Talk in sync it's weird, cut it out"

The walk into school is uneventful, no glares from jealous girls and stares from guys, sorry to disappoint. Everyone at Herrera International High were too snobby for that, or at least most were. Rich kid ettiqute 101: don't show obvious jealousy, you just end up looking cheap.

"Ciao"

Araceli mock salutes as she walks away.
***
Welcome to Aquino, the sign read as the taxi cab sped into town. Several turns later, the stranger got out of the cab after tipping the driver.

Walking into the house purchased online, the house was less glossy and perfect looking in real life. What was one to expect after all the internet is one big exaggeration, sometimes.

This looked like a huge DIY project waiting to happen, but the stranger had one week before having to resume work.
***
Looking up at the tall school building, it was time. Time for reconciliation, time for revenge but who was to be on the receiving end of the revenge plan, the stranger had not yet decided. There was no need to rush though, there was time.

The stranger walked straight out of the principals office, having received instructions and directions made her way to 10th grade classroom block.

Walking into room 245, students where engaged in discussions waiting for the teacher to arrive.

"Excuse me"

The chatter continued with a few stealing a glance at her, obviously inquisitive about the new face in class.

"Excuse me"

All chatter stopped.

"New girl hasn't even been here for a day, and is already giving us commands. Get your head out of your head and take a seat before the teacher arrives, an irritated voice called out from the back of the classroom."

Laughter erupted, although what was remotely funny about the statement the stranger wondered.

"I am the teacher"

The silence returned.

"You are?", I asked

"Miss Padilla, River Padilla", a now tiny voice croaked.

"I am Miss Chavarria, class

Nice to meet you Miss Padilla, and I believe I will see you at detention

Open your history textbooks to page 112."
***
How was I to know that she was the teacher? Now I was the bad guy for offering a classmate turned teacher advice.

Her voice droned on and on about a topic I dont know because Im not paying attention. Its her first day at school and she has already given detention, I wonder where the school found this one.

The bell signals the end of this class.

"Miss Chavarri, right?"

"Miss Padilla, how may I be of assistance", she stated dryly, clearly not assistance.

"I can't have that detention today, can we reschedule?

You see my father has a campaign rally later today, and I can't make it, see you at the rally Miss Chavarria"

"Wouldn't miss it, Miss Padilla", a chirpy Miss Chavarria replied.

Weird.
***
The rally had begun some minutes ago, and I was late. Walking towards the benches set up at the town square, I see someone out of the corner of my eyes just before I clumsily bump into them.

"Woah easy"

"Sorry"

"Non problemo, I have to run"

As kind as I remember, it'll bring about your downfall, ma amore.

"Miss Chavarria", a voice slurred. You actually made it

"Are you drunk?"

"I don't drink", she replied with a straight face before bursting out in laughter.

"Miss Padilla, you do know you could be suspended from school for drinking"

"Miss Chavarria, you do know we are not on school property, and I am a very good drunk, I mean look at me having conversation with my teacher, walking around in heels and I only fell once, all while drunk I deserve an award", she said, singing the last part out while stumbling away.

This town is crazy, but I have a feeling I haven't seen anything yet. This was going to be a long evening, I thought to myself walking to the refreshment stand to get as equally drunk as my student.
***
I don't drink, really I don't.

I'm not drunk, am I?

I just had a cookie from that zip lock bag they were passing around. A cookie from a zip lock bag, Im high?

My brain cells, my beautiful brain.

"I'm going home", I tell my dad in the middle of his conversation with someone.

"Sweetheart, I know this might be boring but you going will look bad for press"

"Dad I'm high, I think that will be worse when someone notices"

He takes a minute to study me, and I watch as colour floods his face as realisation dawns.

"Oh"

"Oh, that's all?"

Someone catches his attention. We'll talk about this later, and he's gone.

Story of my life.

Bringing out my phone, I call Miguel to come get me.
***
"Hey"

"Save it, what took you so long?"

"I stopped on my way here to get food for the girl stupid enough to take a cookie from a zip lock bag being passed around by random teenagers that she doesn't even know."

"Now I feel even more stupid than before", I say getting into his car.

"I thought food was for when you were drunk"

"I don't even know", he replied, as we both started laughing.

This is my first story on Wattpad, enjoy!
My update schedule is someday every week.
Vote and comment.🥰