01 | Provenance

The coolness of the air dug bone deep, with it's crisp amplified by strong gushes of wind. Yet the people of Erenth pay no attention nor discomfort to it. They willfully choose to continue through with their day despite battling against the early morning's harsh air and the icy daybreak dew.

From where she stands, despite the village looking smaller than it is, Euiseok clearly sees it's laborious whirl.

The merchants with their multiple trays of spices, fruits, and textiles lay their produce for the people to choose.

Peddlers walk above cobblestones with baskets filled of goods on their heads, of items they have to trade or sell from village to village, kingdom to kingdom.

Men tread around the village's corners, crossing from mud to stones while tirelessly pulling livestocks and delivering them to their new owners.

Gusts of hard work and labor flurry throughout the kingdom's walls. Even in the earliest of mornings, the village births a hectic hubbub as villagers occupy every nook of its roads with their hasty endeavors.

Contrary to outside's bustle is the peace in the castle's vacant hallways. The princess – in her pure green dress, of brunette braids elegantly dancing against the wind, and calm rhythmic steps – finds bliss within this quiet.

The hallway's seemingly endless labyrinthine paths are forbidding. Its black stones are intimidating, and the entirety of it is designed to confuse the kingdom's assailants. Yet to her, it is what comes closely comparable to a walk in the garden — as it is in this smallest mundanity amidst her fast-paced duties that keeps her content and happy.

The warmth streaming through the windows kisses at her skin. The sound of nature whispers to her ears make her forget about her discomforts.

She succumbs to the thought, that indeed, nature's gift to humanity is it's way of comforting the troubled.

"Her Royal Highness, Princess Euiseok!" the usher announces from over the Great Hall's doors.

At the instant those words flew out of his mouth, the fuss from the other side ceases.

It has been a Court norm to announce the royalties' arrivals everywhere they go as a notice, a warning for their subjects to stop whatever they are doing and show courtesy for their noble presence. Something the royal family, all but one, have long deemed unnecessary. Yet something people choose to continue.

The moment the doors open, Euiseok walks through the wooden entrance, but not before offering the usher a quick smile. As she walks towards one of the hall's long tables, she makes sure to greet every one of her future subjects a light curtsy to pay her respects — a subtle gesture thanking them for their early efforts — before taking the seat opposite one of her brothers.

His black tousled hair shifts to present his dark brown eyes, which evidently lightens upon his sister's presence, welcoming her with a spark of exuberance and a smile that places the sun to shame.

His brown tunic, decorated with silver embroidery sits snug against his broad shoulders, tailored to intimately hug at his physique. A showcase to everyone, most especially to his older sister who still treats him as a child, how he is now a growing man, different from how he was decades ago.

Yet despite his masculine ensemble, he fails to hide the blare of his boyish youth. "Morning!" he greets with his usual childlike cheeriness; wide grin meeting his eyes, one of the many things Euiseok undoubtedly missed seeing around.

"Morning Jongho," she responds with a smile, in as much liveliness she could muster, hoping it would come close to the youthfulness in his, "How was your sleep?"