3

Sophie didn't know quite what to do. Her body was screaming at her to run downstairs and tell Grady and Edaline while her mind begged her to keep it a secret. She could be walking straight into a trap, or she could just be meeting with someone who could answer her questions. She finally made up her mind.

She would keep it a secret.

The whole rest of the day, she felt sick with worry. A hot shower did little to help her gut feeling of nervousness and her brain was even comprehending what she was doing. And before she knew it, orange beams of light were cast across her room, sunset. Her hand shook as she raised the cobalt blue crystal to the light, unaware of where it would take her. She took one last breath for confidence before stepping into the beam.

Her feet reappeared standing on a wide expanse of sand. She quickly scanned her surroundings. She was on a beach, driftwood logs were pushed up against the lush coniferous forest with white sand dollars scattered among the logs. Small foamy waves crashed against the shore and the rock headlands on either side of the long cove. She blinked, it was, beautiful. Long rays of orange light bathed the cove in a fiery glow that made her shiver. But she was safe. Right? She gulped as her eyes landed on a figure sitting on a log a ways down the beach. Her feet began to move forward in shaky steps, though her progress was slow as her feet continued to sink into the sand. She stoped a meter away and the figure stood, throwing back their hood to reveal Alvar.

"You actually came." He said in an amused tone.

"I was surprised too." She muttered and crossed her arms.

He smiled.

"Have a seat." He said and gestured to the log he had been sitting on.

She eyed the surface and Alvar sighed.

"It's not a trap." He said.

She still sat down slowly, thankfully nothing happened. Alvar sat as well.

"Sooooo, happy late birthday..." He said awkwardly.

"How did you know? And seriously? You're making small talk?" She asked surprised.

"The Neverseen is obsessed with you, why wouldn't I know. And yes, I am making small talk." He said with a chuckle.

Sophie could have never imagined herself in this situation. Here, peacefully talking to one of her sworn enemies about her birthday.

"Can we get to the point?" She asked and sighed, looking forward at the waves that crashed several yards away.

"Yeah, I suppose. I don't even know where to start." He sighed and ran a hand through his hair.

"Why don't you start with what happened yesterday?" She said with a bitter tone.

Alvar nodded slowly.

"As you may have guessed, the Neverseen were the ones who planed the leapmaster to fall. I knew about the plan but... I couldn't let them kill you. And so I decided to save you and pray you wouldn't sell me out." He explained and rung his fingers nervously.

"But why? Why did you save me?" She asked almost desperately.

"Your my sworn enemy. You kidnapped and helped torture me when I was 12. What could have possibly changed?" She continued.

Alvar took a deep breath and turned to her.

"Because I fell in love with you."

With that he pressed his lips to hers.

Authors note:
OKAY PLEASE DON'T ATTACK ME AND LET ME EXPLAIN. I had Alvar mention Sophie's birthday because it was meant to signify that SHE TURNED 18. I know this may seem like a really weird concept but the idea came to me and I wanted to try it out. I honestly wasn't expecting this to even become a serious story and I'm not sure if it will. Anyway I'll start working on the next chapter soon but I can't guarantee it will come out soon 😬. I'm out bai ✌️