30 | The Contingency Plan

Depuis le début

"I'll help you win this war, but it's going to be on my terms. I'm done following the rules of men who don't give a shit whether I live or die."

"I wouldn't have it any other way." Dumbledore murmured. 

Davina turned her sharp gaze to Snape. "You and I have urgent matters to discuss."

Snape exchange a furtive look with Dumbledore, then followed Davina to the door leading out of the office. She stopped in the doorway and turned back to look at the headmaster as he watched them leave.

"The Elder and the Usurper are foes once friends. I know all about your past and your ambition, Dumbledore. Did you truly think I'd step into this room and not know what lies in your possession? If I recall correctly, Potter already has the third. Split them up, Headmaster. He can't know until he has to." She turned her back and walked out of the room, "You have a week from tonight."

Davina cast a clever disillusionment charm over herself as she followed Severus Snape through the darkening corridors of the castle. She watched groups of students walk by, chatting about their classes and upcoming finals. She could have been one of them, but that was impossible now. She was dealing with things far greater than they could ever imagine, but soon they would -- a week from today, they would have front-row seats to the turmoil that would become of their lives. 

Snape's office was one she knew well from her early years at Hogwarts. She was often pulled in there for disciplinary action, and later on counciling sessions when the professors realized her behavior (and heroic actions with Potter and company) were the actions of a young girl in a terrible environment. 

"I bet you never thought that nuisance Malfoy girl who you pulled into this office three times a week for causing trouble would now be your partner in stopping the greatest war in history."

Snape led her past the office and through a door behind a drape covering the wall that led to his living quarters. 

"I think it was your talent for insubordination that led you here." He mused aloud, "I must admit that I was quite fond of you and your antics."

He summoned a bottle of bourbon and two glasses as he motioned for her to sit down. They were in a small living room that had enough room for a green sofa and matching armchair, a small fireplace, and a coffee table. She obliged, and opened her palm to the glass as the bottle poured itself. Once he was filled, she took a sip.

"And now?"

He peered at her as he leaned back against the sofa. "I have more respect for you than anyone I've ever known."

"You won't feel that way for long." She sighed, setting the glass down on the table. He followed her actions and stared intently, waiting for the ball to drop. "Dumbledore is going to die by your hands a week from tonight. I will face the Dark Lord's wrath. My brother will be fortified as a Deatheater. We will have completely taken over the Ministry shortly after that, and the fate of Hogwarts will fall at your feet."

"You're sure of this?" 

"I'm sure of many things, Severus, and that's what brought me here tonight..." 

She picked up the glass and down the rest of it in one go. She explained to him the visions she'd had, as well as her enlightening conversation with William that gave Severus the context he needed to understand the ambiguous conversation between her and Dumbledore earlier. She told him everything. At first, she didn't understand why she poured her soul and soul to a man who was supposed to be nothing more than a trustworthy ally and fellow double agent. However, as he nodded along sympathetically and said all of the right things -- or rather, knew when to say nothing at all -- she realized how much alike they were. Severus Snape chose to live a life of darkness because he saw no other options for himself, and he succeeded in that world until the day came when he was crossed -- when someone he loved was threatened and eventually killed -- and he turned. He was an example of how sour her life could go if she didn't pursue her path wisely, however, and he knew that he could be the perfect guide to help prevent her from doing what he had. She wanted him to know everything. She wanted his help.