Chapter Seventeen - Queen of War

Börja om från början

He surrenders, grey creeping up his neck.  I spread across my newly conquered territory, savoring the plush cushion, the regal frame, the rich mahogany.  "My chair."

The attendant bows, speaking in rushed, uneven sentences.  "The guards apprehended a nymph at the gates.  She has demanded an audience with you.  Should I--"

"Bring her in."

Crap.

I sweep the drafts into the garbage, heart racing. He frowns.  "You want Iris to know about them?"

Before Maven can respond, the doors swing open.  Arvens may surround Iris, but they cannot keep her contained. Mud streaks her skin, dress torn to shreds, hair sticky with blood.  Whose, I never want to know.

"They killed him."  Iris's voice used to be lilting and melodic, like a folk song caught on a breeze.  Now, she sounds like a graveyard.  Dull.  Grey.  Lifeless.  "I gave them my floods, and they killed him."

"Wife.  So glad you could join us."  Maven's eyes dance with mirth.  "Did you have fun?"

"Father is dead."  Iris punches a wall.  "I will destroy them."

"I'll take that as a no.  Shame."

"What is she doing here?"  Iris jabs a finger my direction. No longer does she eye me with coy amusement.  She never will again.  "Do we allow prisoners out of their chains now?"

"Her name is Mare, darling.  Use it."  Maven crumples a piece of paper and places it near his flamemakers.  "Your mother could learn that the Scarlet Guard killed her husband and her daughter.  All the better for me."

"I'll destroy you too."

"I'm sure you will."  Maven leans against my chair, brushing aside my hair to stroke my neck.  Her gaze burns holes into us both.

"She's Scarlet Guard.  She'd tear our throats without a moment's hesitation.  I forgot that."  Iris stares at the floor as if it could swallow her whole.  "I've half a mind to execute her."

He sharpens.  "You've half a mind, period.  She's my consort now, and you will treat her with respect.  Find a guard to play with."

"I didn't give permission for a consort."

"I didn't ask."

I squirm.  "Do I have a say in this . . . ?"

"No."  Iris narrows her eyes.  "Why are you in Maven's chair?"

"It's my chair.  I fought him for it."

Maven rubs his forehead.  "Don't ask."

"Find a use for her, or I will make one."  Iris has no tendrils to curl, but somehow she seems more dangerous without them.  "Her head would make a lovely present for Mother."

Another death threat.  They're beginning to bore me.

"So short-sighted."  He tsks.  "You think I haven't? Think of the narrative.  An impoverished Red with Silver abilities, groomed by the Scarlet Guard to kill a king and brainwash another.  Rebelling against her commanders once she learned of their evil, she sits at my side for months, friendship giving way to something more.  What a beautiful tale."

I knew this was coming.

It still hurts.

"A boy forced onto the throne too soon, soft-spoken and compassionate, committed to righting the injustices of his ancestors."  Kill me.  "Measures lifted.  A war ended.  And when he falls for a Red, she is declared the equal of any Silver mistress."

"The manacles are a rite of passage, I'm sure."  I scowl.

Maven ignores me.  "This is a propaganda war, Wife.  Reds outnumber us, and we cannot allow them to be lured by the Scarlet Guard."

"Very well."  Her tone is placid.  Her expression is not.  "Keep her out of my sight.  I have limits.  Push them at your peril."

"So do I, Wife."  He ignites the parchment.  "So do I."

She leaves.

Maven slithers beside me, eyes wicked.  "Was there something you wanted to do in this chair?"

"You can have it."  I pat his head.

He doesn't see me fish the letter from the trash.  He doesn't see it as I walk out the room, handing it to a nearby attendant for mailing.  And he never read the final paragraph, scrawled hastily as if in a panic.

I pray to Amalese for Father's safe return.  Perhaps a vengeance goddess is the worst to ask, but she understands justice better than anyone else.  Far better than my husband.

I miss you.

There is no god named Amalese.

There is no god of vengeance.

But there are justices Iris would ask for.  Ones that do not end well for Maven.

Iris next

Also entered and won the Red Queen Watty in the King's Cage category, which is pretty cool