Chapter 1

-Newark NJ 6:47 pm-

Inside the caravan tavern motel, in room 211, Tracy Hapley lit her last cigarette in her possession and sighed heavily. She twisted her mothers ring around her finger and walked to the corner of her room. It wasn't supposed to happen this way, she thought. She was only 28, too young to be under this stress. She fell in love when she turned 22 and married sixth months later, to her soon to be ex husband, Phillip Hapley.

He was a charming man, with deep brown eyes. He was two years older than Tracy, and they met at a dinner party of a friend. Tracy was an opinionated woman who always wore her hair and an updo and loved the way pearls looked around her neck. She was a receptionist at an office. Phillip was a city manager.

Tracy reached over for the remote to the tv and watched Iron Chef for a few hours, and drifted off to sleep.

Her cellphone woke her at 11:39 pm.

"Karen?" Karen was one of her many friends.

"TRACY? Are you okay? Do you need me to come over there???"

"Karen, what on earth are you talking about?"

"Oh my god, you haven't heard, turn your tv to channel 4!"

She did as told annoyed, at being woken up by this. At the sight of the television she dropped her phone and stared blankly.

She could see a picture of her old house with crime scene tape surrounding it and blue and red lights flashing everywhere.

Yes, I'm on the scene of the double homicide of Phillip Hapley and Ellen Devine, that's currently being investigated. Police said they haven't seen a case as gruesome in years, a true crime of passion.

Tracy closed her eyes and counted down from a hundred like her therapist had said. Yet, she fainted anyhow.