Aero Electro

An original short by @AlexSCard. 

The crowd awed at the slick looking vehicle that sat upon the platform in front of them.

"Yes ladies and gentlemen this is the way of the future," Jiorj Eastinghows spoke into the microphone that stood before him. He beamed with pride as the group of reporters, officials and business men studied the vehicle. "Unlike the steam powered Aerocars the others use we can do away with the bulk of a boiler and the messy coal burners we use now. Yes this beauty runs completely on electricity."

A reporter's hand shot up in the tiny pause as Jiorj spoke and yelled out a question, "Mr. Eastinghows, you still need to burn coal and heat water to generate electricity and I know that it is impossible to store that much electricity, so how can you claim the craft runs purely on electricity?"

"I am glad you asked that Mr. Ellis. I do admit we do use steam turbines to create electricity, but as you can see this craft has neither boiler nor furnace and I can say that you are right that it is impossible to store enough electricity to even light a small bulb, but this craft does run on electricity," Jiorj paused again.

"You haven't answered my question yet."

"I'm getting there," Jiorj assured the audience, "We simply broadcast the electricity to the car."

Silence fell on the crowd as they tried to fathom the news. Their minds reeled at the idea and many doubted the claims of the man. A murmur started to flow through audience, that grew louder and louder as people hurled accusations of lies and disbelief at the man on stage.

Jiorj raised his voice as he spoke into the microphone, "I know it's hard to believe, but let me ask you this Mr. Ellis, how do you broadcast your message to your audience?"

"Well radio waves of course, but that's differ-"

Jiorj cut the reporter off, "Is it really? We use a similar principal in sending electricity over a distance. The tower you see on the roof of the warehouse isn't for radio transmission, but is designed to send electrical waves. This tower has enough range to blanket this whole flat in electricity allowing us to fly the Aerocar anywhere on the flats."

"This is all a fantastic story Mr. Eastinghows, but where is the proof?" Mr. Ellis voiced the thoughts of the crowd getting several nods and vocal agreements from his colleges.

"It is here," Jiorj pulled out from behind the podium a lightbulb. It glowed in his hand as if his body were supplying the charge. To prove that there was nothing funny going on Jiorj took two steps to one side and placed the bulb upon the platform and stepped back to the podium. The bulb continued to glow despite not being attached to any form of wire or socket.

The crowd was again silenced by the display. Men stepped closer trying to get a better look, reporters moved their cumbersome cameras into position, jostling for the best angle. Even the ever skeptical Mr. Ellis, newsman extraordinaire, was caught up in the awe of the moment. Quickest though to recover Mr. Ellis again began questioning Jiorj.

"So you can power a lightbulb, but how does that translate to powering a flying machine?"

"Still doubting everything you see Mr. Ellis," Jiorj turned and gestured for someone to join him on stage.

A young man, probably in his late twenties or early thirties stepped up beside Jiorj. He was dressed in a jumpsuit and wore leather driving gloves. His hair was unkempt poking around a pair of goggles pushed high up on his forehead.

"This my friends is Niclus Tezra the inventor of the electronic transmission towers and the Aerocar that you see here," Jiorj explained to the crowd, "He will demonstrate for your satisfaction that this automobile can fly without need of steam engine or balloon."