2 | his mother

Simran:

I immediately slipped the phone into my bag and stood up nervously.
"I-sorry.. I did not..", I mumbled.

His face had hardened, obviously he didn't like his idealistic rules breaking.

He shut his eyes and drew in a deep breath.
"Well, Miss Ahluwalia, this is my mansion and it has certain rules that you need to abide by at all costs.", he said coldly.

"That booklet before you on the table has it all written. Just pick it up and read it nicely before doing anything inappropriate. ", he added.

I picked up the "booklet" of hundred and fifty pages.

He's got a whole book just for the rules! No wonder he's still single.

I thought.

"Now, please have a seat. You may take that booklet with you.", he said walked into the study and sitting on the recliner opposite to me.

"I want my room to be dressed in dark colours, black, blue, green. So do whatever you want to do in these colours.", he said curtly.

I looked at him at him strangely.

"Black, sir?", I asked softly, unsure.
"Yes. Black is my favorite colour and I'll love my walls painted mostly with that colour.", he said drawing in a breath.

"Oh.. Okay sir. I'll do it just the way you want it.", I mumbled.

He was eyeing me with a strange curiosity.
"Miss Ahluwalia, if you don't mind, which school have you passed out from?", he asked.

"I am a pass out from Abhinav Public School.. Its in Delhi.. I don't think you'll know—", he intervened.
"I know.", he said coldly.
"And are you interested in dancing?", I looked at him confused.

He's asking as if he's gonna propose me for marriage.
I thought.

"Yes.. I did dance when I was in school and in college—"

"Sir, Arshika ma'am has arrived.", Rizwan said interrupting me.

Vikrant's eyes were fixed on my face.

"Send her to her bedroom. I'll meet her later.", he said, scanning me.

"Okay sir.", Rizwan said and left.

"So, Miss Ahluwalia.. Ever thought of acting?", I looked at him, now half annoyed.

"Sir, I don't think that's your
concern—", it came out harsher than I intended. His face hardened again, his perfect jawline was perfectly visible.

"Read that booklet nicely tonight. Rule number five reads that no one here back questions me.", he said suppressing his anger.

"Oh..", I said like a complete idiot.

Just then my phone buzzed.

Damn.!

I looked at him, he was giving me a passively aggressive look.

"Can I check...", my voice trembled a little.
He nodded, clearly annoyed.

I pulled out my phone.
"Who is it?", he asked.
"Mom..", I mumbled and instantly added, "I'll call her up later.."

And I was about to hang up when he suddenly said,
"No. Pick the call."

I looked at him. His being had suddenly changed, he did not look like he was going to kill me anymore.
"Go on.. Pick it.", his tone seemed more.. Normal.

I picked the call and spoke to mom who was as usual overly concerned about if I had eaten and if I had taken the lucky charm that she got from Kedarnath for me.

All this time Vikrant seemed to be lost in thoughts, as if he was reminiscing something.

Anyways, how does that concern me?
After mom finally hung up the call I said, "Yes sir, please tell me any other specifications."

He was suddenly pulled of the daze.
"Now, I am getting late for work. I must leave Miss Ahluwalia. Will meet you later.", saying so he abruptly stood up and walked out of the study.

I heaved a breath of relief.

He's such a weirdo! Like seriously?
I thought irritably looking at that "booklet" called "The Rules of Suryavanshis"

I finally got up and asked a servant to show me to his room.

His room was huge.
Like really huge.

My house's drawing room seemed smaller before it.
His room had all the curtains drawn and was kept totally dark. I walked in and opened the heavy curtains.

His room was a brown colour which already made it look dark and dull. His king size bed was perfectly made with a bedsheet of silk.

There was a big photoframe on the wall on top of his bed.

It seemed to be a family photo taken years ago when most probably he was a small kid in his mother's arms.

"You so look like Mami.", I immediately turned to find a woman almost my age smiling at me.

She walked into the room and gave her hand for a handshake.

"I'm Arshika Diwan. Vikrant's cousin sister, and his favourite person right now.", she said smiling.

She was beautiful, I couldn't possibly deny it. She was fair with dark brown hair a little below her shoulder, now tied in a neat pony tail.

I shook hands with her.

"Hi! I'm Simran, interior designer.", I said.
"Nice to meet you..", I added.

"Pleasure to meet you too!", she said, "You know you look like Vikrant's mother.", she added. I turned towards the photograph on the wall.

"Not exactly, but certain features do match.", I said totally impressed.

"I must say it's not exactly a good thing.", Arshika added.

I looked at her confused.

"And why so?"

"Vikrant hates her."

........

Don't forget to vote and drop in your views!