ℭ𝔥𝔞𝔭𝔱𝔢𝔯 26

Start from the beginning

"But I love the king truly and I will become queen. I will not have my crown be taken from me by a servant." She spat.

"Your Highness, I can assure you-" I start. She cuts me off, "Quiet! I did not give you permission to speak!"

I shut my mouth quickly, not trying to anger her more than she already is

"When I am crowned queen, he will not need your services any longer and you will be dismissed." She smiles wickedly.

I stare at her in disbelief. I am shocked that she is so certain of her plan. The fact that she believes that she will be queen and that the king will cater to her. That can't be true, can it?

"Don't you think I know about the dismissal of duties, the readings in the library, the shared intimate moment one late evening?" She slowly circles me. I feel my eyes prick with tears. How does she know?

"The king will not approve of this," I manage to speak out

"The king is nothing without a queen by his side," she states matter-of-factly, then stops directly in front of me. "Now that we understand each other, you may go." I quickly curtsy and start toward the door. Mid stride she stops me. "You will tell no one of our conversation." She says, her voice deep and slow.

I nod meekly and walk out of the room, feeling utterly dejected.

Later on in the evening, I was in the prince's room, tidying up while he ate his dinner. I started to think about the whole encounter and of the conversation with the princess. Was there another person In the room or was it a figment of my imagination?

After a few moments, I hear my name being called and I jump at the call. I drop the piece of clothing and It lands on my feet.

"Ann, what has your mind so preoccupied?" Marco asks while I bend to pick up the fallen piece of clothing.

I look at him. He's sitting at the table with a chalice of wine in his hand. "I don't want to burden you with my thoughts." I place the clothing back into the wardrobe and close it.