I PROMISED MY CHILDREN, BOTH OF THEM

"I promised both of them."

Missy Moreno lied asleep in her comfy bed. With her colorful comforter, which she liked very much. She had a 'Heroics' themed alarm clock on her side table, and once the clock hit 7:00 am, the song would go off.

🎵 Wake up, sleepyhead 🎵

She turned off the alarm, and sighed. Today was a school day. And schooldays, were her 'Okay' days. Because she was the daughter of Marcus Moreno, everybody thought that she had powers. Truth?

She didn't.

'It's funny when you look back on a day like this, it always begins so normal.'

She looked at herself in the mirror, and thought about the usual. Well, usual could be anything. We'll go with the normal usual.

'I mean, look at me. I'm actually putting real thought into what I'm gonna wear. Like any of this was gonna matter in an hour.'

She picked up two T-shirts. One was pink, and had a shirt pocket. "This one says, 'Talk to me,'" She said. She pulled the other T-shirt, which was black, and had a mini skeleton on it. "And this one says, 'Leave me alone.'" She took a few seconds to think. "Perfect." She settles with the black one.
Her communicator watch goes off. "Time for breakfast, Missy." Her Dad called. "Good morning, Dad. Be right there." She put her clothes on, and untied her braids. Making her hair look fresh, and new.

•••••

Marcus was standing in front of the TV, while he cracked some eggs in a bowl for breakfast.

"In rather bizarre news, both Miracle Guy and Tech-No were spotted plummeting from the sky this morning. Must have been some kind of test drill for the Heroics defenses, for they deployed a giant safety net and caught the celebrated-,"

Marcus turned the TV off as Missy walked into the kitchen. "Morning, kiddo. You sleep okay?" He asked. Missy picked up the broken egg shells from the small bowl, which still had some of the insides splattered in the bowl. That never happens. "Did you?" She asked.

They walked over to the breakfast table. "I see you're wearing, 'leave me alone.'" Marcus said as he poured some cereal into her bowl. "You know, I want you to try to make some friends." He said. "Yeah, not today." Missy answered. She then noticed on the TV, that Miracle Guy had been put in an ambulance. That never happens either. "Whoa. Is that Miracle Guy?" She asked. Worry suddenly flooding her brain.
"That is just a training exercise, probably. A... a 'what if'" He explained. "As long as there's no 'what if' that involves you rejoining the team." The girl said. They had been over this a billion times. But she liked to remind her Dad the deal they'd made.
"Relax. Even though I'm still the leader of the Heroics, I'm doing it from the safety of my own office." He explained once more. "Good. Because a deal is a deal." She said as she deepened her voice. Marcus chuckled at her humor.