chapter 1 | 50 first dates

Chapter 1

Matt was sitting at the back of the classroom writing down what was on the board. Every once in a while, he would look around, and find a pair of brown eyes on him. Everytime he went to meet them, they would quickly look away. One time he got the owner of the said big brown eyes to look at him. But the bell rang soon after. 

"My place? Movies. Popcorn. Philip's out tonight." It was Simon Schwan. Famed Nerd/Jock and Matt’s best friend.

 "Sure." he said half heartedly, looking around for the strange boy. But alas, he was gone. 

"Jack left already." said Simon, snapping Matt out of his confused state. 

"Who?" he asked. 

"Jack. Quiet, ginger hair. You got into a staring contest with him at the end of class." 

"Oh." So that's his name, Jack. 

"Yeah his brother and my brother are friends."

Philip?" he asked

“No, my other brother.” Simon replied sarcastically. "Anyways, popcorn, movies, like now?" 

-----------

He's at Simon's house watching a movie. 50 first dates he thinks. He hasn’t really been paying attention. He couldn’t get his mind off that boy. Jack Crowther. 

“Simon?” he says slowly. He doesn’t know whether he should bother the boy or not.

“Yeah?” Simon replies, sounding perhaps a little worried by his friends unsureness. Matt asks, still slightly worried whether to Simon or not.

“Do you know anything about this Jack kid?” It’s a stupid question. Simon knows everything about everyone.

“Not really. He’s quiet. Closed. Takes care of his brother though. Kinda, I heard. He’s really good at snowboarding. Why?” Matt is genuinely not sure why. 

“Just curious.” is the best answer he can think of, so that’s what he goes with. 

“Pretty isn’t he?”

“What?” Matt replies, slightly confused.

“I said, pretty isn’t he?” Simon replied.

“I suppose?” 

“It’ll never happen.”

“And why not?” Matt asked. 

“Because he doesn’t even talk to people, and besides, I don’t even think he likes guys.”

“I never said I wanted to go out with him.”

“Oh? You want to start a book club?” Simon replies.

“I never said I would do anything. I’m just curious about the guy, who’s been watching me all semester, okay?”

“Sure.” Simon replies sarcastically. They finish the movie in silence. Matt goes home still trying to figure out why Simon thought he liked Jack. He hadn’t even said anything to the boy. Although, Simon had a point, he was pretty.