Chapter Twenty-Six

Start from the beginning

Jackson scoffed. "I guess only Luke will be back if that's the case."

I gave them a small smile before they left the room, leaving Phoenix and me alone.

"Scarlett," My name softly rolled off his tongue, making it hard to look away from him. "I didn't mean to upset you," His hand landed on my leg. "I'm... I'm scared. After last night I can't handle the thought of something else happening to you. Not under my watch again. God, I feel like I failed you."

My eyes met his, seeing the pain he had in them. "Baby," My brows knitted together. "You didn't fail me. Don't say stuff like that. This was out of your control. I only did what felt right, just as you would do the same for me. You are my biggest protector and the one I feel the safest with. Stop blaming yourself," I grabbed ahold of his hand, squeezing it hard as his eyes filled with tears. "And I'm scared more than anything too, but you're the only thing that's keeping me sane."

Pheonix nodded, taking in a deep breath.

"So, please try and keep me sane when it's nearly impossible. Don't go becoming a worried and overprotective mom because I already have one of those. Just be here with me. That's all I need," My voice was shaky as he took my hand and placed a sweet kiss on the back of it.

"I'm not going anywhere, Shortcake. We will get through this together. Whatever life wants to throw at us, I will knock it down and out of our way. I promise," He leaned down, kissing me softly before placing his forehead against mine. "No matter the storm, it will pass, and we will still be standing strong."

I closed my eyes as I took in his homely smell that I always take comfort in. "You'll be my lighthouse, and I'll be yours," I whispered.

"To the ends of time, baby."

"Hello, we're back, and you two better have your clothes on," Ryder came barging into the room with my mom and dad.

My mom's mouth fell. "Ryder Dean, don't be crude!"

Nix's cheeks were bright red as I rolled my eyes. "I think you have us mistaken for you and Lily."

He laughed while my mom set a large tote bag on the end of the bed.

My dad stood on my other side of me. "How are you feeling, princess?"

"The same, my head hurts a little, but I'm doing alright. What might help is getting out of this damn bed, though," I grumbled.

"You need your rest, Scarlett. The doctor says you have to stay put and not to do any strenuous activity." He reminded me.

"Yeah, well, with Nix around, all I have been allowed to do is grab my cup of water."

My mom smiled. "Then he is doing a good job of taking care of you.'

"Did you hear that?" Nix lifted his head proudly.

"My boyfriend, the hot nurse," I teased.

Ryder let out a loud laugh. "I can always go get you a cute little nurse's outfit if you wanted, Nix?"

Phoenix glared at him, unamused.

My dad chuckled. "Ryder, stop talking before I request for them to sedate you."

The sounds of their laughs echoed my room, making my heart fill with warmth.

"So, I think I brought you everything you might need for the week," My mom spoke up, unzipping the bag.

Dad raised a brow. "Everything and way more, actually."

I gently smiled before my mom began to pull things out. "Your pillow, your toothbrush, hair ties, hairbrush, phone charger, your favorite blanket from the living room you always curl up in..." She kept explaining every item, even announcing the panties that she held in her hand to my embarrassment.