Chapter Two: The Survivor

Start from the beginning

The Mandalorian, you found, was not exactly a talkative person. He remained completely silent for long periods of time—similar to the day you'd initially met the man, actually. You didn't mind this at all, though. It wasn't like you wanted to speak with him anyway.

The sole audible sound was the cauterizer ignited, the baby occasionally cooing, and the Mandalorian working on his armor. It was kinda peaceful. Kinda.

"So, you stole the lightsaber?"

Well, would you look at that. He actually spoke.

"No," you swiftly replied. A grunt escaped your lips as you continued the painful cauterization process. "I earned it."

He was quiet. You were completely certain he was utterly confused and lost here. "Are you a Jedi or not, then?"

A sigh. Your eyes were glued to your injury as you offered a tiny bit of explanation for the clueless Mandalorian. "No, I'm not. At least, not now. I was one a long time ago. Just not anymore."

Your vague answer was enough for the Mandalorian to remain silent and set the questions aside. Temporarily. You were glad for it, too, because you likely wouldn't have responded to any further inquiries. After all, you had no reason to provide him with information on your past life.

Something caught your eye in your peripheral vision, though. You abruptly turned for the defensive, preparing yourself to attack whatever dared to ambush you in this moment. Only, it was the quarry. The harmless, green, wrinkly, little baby. Its big eyes staring straight towards your direction, sparkling underneath the starry sky. It was rather... cute, you had to admit. It seemingly managed to hop out of its floating carrier, slowly waddling on its stubby feet, and heading for nobody other than you. Though before it managed to reach you, the Mandalorian thankfully snatched the strange creature away and placed it back inside the pram.

As the Mandalorian returned to his spot, his barely audible winces and grunts indicated he was hurting pretty badly. Something inside you stirred up, some sort of... sympathy, maybe. It urged you to finishing treating your wound a bit quicker than usual.

The bleeding ceased eventually, along with the gash ultimately closing up. A wave of alleviation washed over you once the pen was pulled away from the wound, before tossing it towards the Mandalorian. The tool was immediately handled by him, first beginning with the older wound near his shoulder, which was evidently more exposed to infection.

A silence overtook the ambience, then. The fire in front of you crackled as its flames danced wildly and illuminated the dark scenario. Your eyes focused on the dancing flickers of warm colors in front of you—

Until a quiet coo called for your attention. Your gaze was directed towards the quarry again, those dark eyes watching you and the Mandalorian from his pram. Your mind returned to wondering over certain thoughts, such as why the Client needed this infant so badly that he was willing to offer such a high reward for the bounty. Nothing came to mind. It simply didn't make much sense.

Seconds later, the quarry was caught hopping out of its carrier yet again. Persistent little fella. This time, you opted to return it to its pram. As soon as your hands brought the baby into the air, you swore there was something familiar to the little critter. It was a sensation that hit close to home, yet distant and far from reach altogether. You had no clue as to what it was—there was no possible explanation. Instead of pondering over that anymore than you probably should, you placed the child back where it belonged. With a push of a button, the carrier was shut closed so it wouldn't have the chance to escape again. Then, you're back seated in your spot.