"What part of 'not contact them again' didn't you understand?" asked Diego.

"They might not respond to a letter, but if we show up at their office, they'd have to at least hear us out."

Talbott laughed. "Right, that'll end well. Four people who dropped off the face of the earth suddenly turn up at the ministry asking questions about a wanted criminal? I'm sure they'll be very accommodating."

"Not to mention all the Death Eaters sitting on the minister's lap who'd be perfectly happy to curse us on sight," mentioned Diego. 

"So, we use disguises," said Sarah. 

Talbott shook his head. "Won't work. You have to identify yourself to get in. You'd have to use Polyjuice Potion or something."

"Luckily," said Sarah, "I know a very skilled potioneer. And she's already familiar with Polyjuice potion." She smiled at Penny. 

"Oh, great," said Penny.

They were interrupted when Barnaby entered the room. "Sophia's asleep."

Sarah realized a few minutes had passed since she'd heard the baby's cries. 

Penny stared at him in shock, the dark circles under her eyes more pronounced. "How? I can't for the life of me get her to sleep!"

Barnaby shrugged. "I have a gift for getting babies to sleep. I just have to chat to the moon calves for a couple minutes before they're out cold. What'd I miss anyway?"

"We're going to sneak into the ministry," said Sarah. 

"Nice. I always wanted to see that place."

***********************************************************************************************

It took Penny a month to brew the Polyjuice Potion, which was plenty of time for Talbott to gather information on all the ministry employees they'd be impersonating. 

The difficult bit, he'd explained, was coming up with people who'd have good reason to talk the Department of Magical Law Enforcement, without picking someone so familiar that Tulip's parents would realize they were fakes. 

"It only makes sense for one of us to go," Sarah had argued over and over. "Why would so many people need to talk to them at once?"

"You're not going in there alone, and that's final," said Diego. 

"Alright, Sarah, you go speak to Tulip's parents, and the rest of us will keep watch," said Talbott. "Everyone happy with that?"

They weren't. Diego wanted to go into the office, and Sarah still didn't like risking all the others if the plan went wrong, but they reluctantly agreed. 

When the potion was finally finished, Sarah took a swig of mauve liquid. She heaved and contorted in pain as her body bubbled and twisted until it was no longer recognizable. At last, she straightened herself up, breathing heavy. 

She'd become Meredith Lyon, a junior writer for the Daily Prophet. Meredith had much darker skin than Sarah, as well as short hair that curled into tight little ringlets. She was also a head shorter. Sarah's excess robes were piled around her feet. 

"She works under Rita Skeeter, and worships her. Dresses just like her," said Talbott, who now looked like the large, beefy, Eric Switch, a member of the Department of Magical Cooperation.

"Say no more." Sarah pulled out her wand. Her robes transformed to fit her new body better. They'd also become bright, lime green. She had on sparkling green heels and long, green nails to match. 

She looked over at the other boys, and stifled a laugh. It looked as if Talbott had gone out of his way to pick ministry members who were the complete opposites of Diego and Barnaby. 

Diego had become a short man who was wider than he was tall. His robes were splitting at the seems. He had pale, waxy skin and absolutely no hair on his head. He gave them a pained look with his beaded, watery eyes before casting a spell to give himself more comfortable robes. "I don't like this."

Barnaby was even shorter than Sarah. He had a petite, frail looking figure, along with long, red hair and puffy, red lips. "Why am I girl?" he asked, in a tiny squeak of a voice. 

"Because," said Talbott seriously, though he was clearly trying not to laugh, "Tamara Smethwick is a recent addition to the Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures, so not only would it make sense for her to pop into the law enforcement office to ask a question, but if anyone talks to you, they won't be suspicious because the only thing you understand is creatures. Here." Talbott waved his wand and Barnaby's robes became a short, tight-fitting dress of light pink. "She likes pink."

Barnaby hmmphed, which gave Tamara a pouty look that made Sarah burst out laughing. Barnaby smiled. 

"This batch should last about six hours," said Penny nervously as she entered the room. She glanced at them all, biting her nails. "If I've done it properly."

"Of course you have," said Sarah. "That's plenty of time."

"Shall we review the plan again?" asked Talbott. "Mental as it may be?"

"We go into the ministry, doing our best to keep a low profile, and find Tulip's parents," said Sarah. "I pretend to ask them questions for Rita's latest article..."

"While we all hang around outside to make sure nothing goes wrong," said Barnaby. "What happens if it does go wrong, again?"

"Get out at whatever cost," said Talbott. "Through the fireplaces or the main entrance. We'll only be one level up so it should be too difficult as long as we leave at the first sign of trouble." He looked around at them all. "Okay, we ready then?"

They nodded. Penny hurried to give them all hugs and to kiss Talbott on the cheek. "Good luck."

Talbott pulled out the Portkey he'd made earlier from a large book. 

"A History of Magic?" Sarah asked. It had been one of their textbooks for Hogwarts. 

"First book I pulled of the shelf. Here we go." The book had begun to glow bright blue. They all put a hand on it and were whisked violently away.