Chapter Five: Familiar Faces(3)

There were rumours that the crown prince and a baron's daughter were secretly meeting up outside the palace and going on excursions.

There were rumours about how the prince had ordered the kingdoms finest dressmakers and jewellers to create the perfect set for his secret lover's debut ball.

She felt her heart grow violent as she heard the whispers of the ladies around her. Her posture was perfect, her fingers danced on the piano keys and made her look ethereal. Yet the whispers that surrounded her asked what her heart had asked all these years.

Why was I not enough?

🌕🌖🌗🌘🌑🌒🌓

I'm sorry.

That's what he said before he abruptly walked away.

I'm sorry.

Two words were supposed to erase the 12 months of torture he inflicted upon her in prison? The physical pain, the constant reminder that she would never compare to that woman. That she was guilty for even dreaming to take something from the precious girl who was naive to the intricacies of the nobility. The baron's daughter. And now that humble woman who worked hard and climbed her way up to become an up and coming new face in the entertainment world.

What a shameless man, drunk on an unrequited love.

After Noah's abrupt exit, francia had raced out of the hall to get Maya. They both then quickly excused themselves and went home.

The clock read three am, as two beautiful woman sat on a luxurious couch facing a muted television screen showing some strange late night advertisements.

"So he remembers his past identity?"

"Yes."

"And he apologized for the inhumane things he did to you?"

"Yes."

"Do you believe him."

With a bitter chuckle Maya twirled a piece of her long hair, "no, and honestly I don't really care how he feels." She glanced over at Francia, "I've never wanted revenge. Even here I don't have the resources to go against them, and I of all people know best the consequences of what happens when you fuck with a mad dog crazy in love."

Francia stayed quite for a while before moving closer to Maya, "It really is hard being a villainess, we're only given so much power to irritate the leads but never actually overcome them. A pity, if you wanted them dead I would've supported you in any way that I can." With a playful wink at Maya's shocked expression she questioned, "so what do you plan to do now?"

Leaning back against the couch, Maya grinned," nothing at all." With a sigh she continued, "I've been given a second chance to live my life, and I'm not going to waste it on those bastards. Plus, I highly doubt I'll see him again."

Ofcourse I was wrong in my assumption, because Noah Thrasys showed up at my front door the following week.