Songs of Forgiveness and Love

Catch a Rising Star

A/N: Here it is! Prepare yourselves for the second to last chapter of this story. I had it ready yesterday, but it was Christmas Day, so I was mostly spending it with my family opening presents and enjoying time together. Not that I didn't enjoy it, I loved it. Plus, it was pretty late when I finished it, and I was really tired.

Anyway, let's get on with Chapter 17! Roll it!

Chapter 17

Songs of Forgiveness and Love

About half an hour later, Branch and Harper arrived at Northwest High where Harper's school dance was being held. They got out of Branch's car, locked it, and then headed over to the school gymnasium, where loud party music could already be heard from inside. There was a curtain of streamers over the doorway, and lights were flashing colorfully from the inside of the gym.

Harper wore a pink, knee-length sleeveless dress with a sweetheart neckline, along with a see-through matching shawl over her shoulders, the skirt showing soft silver sparkles as she walked, along with white low kitten heels. Branch just wore a dark blue tuxedo with a matching bow tie and black dress shoes, his hair gelled up a little and brushed neatly.

The young man fiddled around with his bow tie. It had been a long time since he attended a high school dance, and it was only once. Harper saw her brother acting so nervous, and she rolled her eyes fondly.

"Relax, worrywart." She said with a teasing smile. "You look great. And at least it's a high school dance. You won't be bombarded, promise."

Branch smiled fondly at his sister. "Thanks, Harper." He said.

The indigo-haired girl returned the smile and then hugged her brother tightly, him returning it gratefully. When she broke the hug, she lightly pressed her finger against his forehead.

"Remember, you said that you wouldn't." She reminded him.

"And I remember that I made no promises." He said with a little teasing grin, making her laugh.

With that, Harper removed her finger, pulled Branch behind her and they both went into the gym. Already, students were dancing or mingling, and colorful spotlights were flashing like crazy. The music was also pretty loud as well.

Harper saw Mandy standing over at another side of the room and quickly went over to her. Branch just shook his head fondly at her and then went over to the wall to watch and keep an eye on students that were getting a little too cozy.

Luckily, everyone seemed to be keeping a respectable distance, both on the sidelines and out on the dance floor. However, there were some students that recognized him from TV and were snickering to themselves. Branch lightly bit his lip, but he ignored them. He was not going to be brought down by high school sophomores.

Just then, the music stopped abruptly, and everyone, both students and staff, were all wondering about what was going on. Harper on the other hand, she just smiled and then stood off to the side to watch the show. Mandy watched her step away, curious about her actions.

Suddenly, there was a large number of teenage girls, including Mandy, fangirling like crazy as a very familiar face known as Poppy Summers slowly and gracefully stepped out onto the stage. She was wearing a knee-length periwinkle blue dress with an illusion neckline, tiny yellow star prints on the skirt, and matching heels with ankle straps. She had let her hot pink hair down, held back by a matching periwinkle headband with a yellow star on the side, there was a silver bead bracelet on her right wrist, and in her arms was her guitar.