Chapter 1

It has been a while since Monsters and Humans were living in the surface. Everyone was happy; everyone had their happy ending. Except for someone.

Bitter teardrops ran through Cami's cheeks as she remembered the young man's despair when she faced him; her dark eyes clenched at the memory. His cry for help; his tears. His refusal to let go of life; his refusal to let go of feeling again.

She had to do something. Cami stared at the wall, with tired, puffy eyes. She just couldn't forget him, no matter how much the monster told her to let it go as he went back to the form he was bound to carry, escaping right away.An idea has been lingering around; but... Could she proceed with it? She had to try it. She can't keep going this way.

"Hello, Dr. Alphys. How can I...?" The former royal scientist stopped halfways her formal speech as she recognized the voice behind the cellphone.

"Cami! How are..." She paused once again. "Were you crying?"

The olive skinned girl proceeded to tell her, as slowly as she could to express her point without confusing the scientist even further.

"C-Cami! That's insane! It could work but... it's too risky, and you may... you may..." The girl behind the cellphone started crying again. Alphys knew it was wrong to experiment with that, it could go awfully wrong. Specially knowing that monster's current nature. But after enough pleading, and desperate tears to ease the guilt she had, the scientist sighed.

"We can try. But I can't assure you it's gonna be harmless..."

-------------

After what seemed ages for Alphys, Cami arrived her lab. Her persistence was genuine; she had to save him.

"The process is delicate and I'm gonna have to ask you to follow my instructions carefully. While in theory it could work, it could also go terribly wrong. I'm gonna ask you to forgive me if that happens..." Alphys stuttered while talking, but Cami smiled. 

"I'm willing to take the risk. Thank you, Alphys. If at least I didn't try, I swear... I'm not sure if I could handle this any longer." The olive skinned girl sighed, and the scientist stopped her before she said something worse.

"Please... Don't say that..." She paused. "Are you ready?"

"As never before." She smiled, as her hands were being tied to some kind of stretcher. 

Her dark eyes were filled with both a deep feeling of perseverance, and at the same time, a small trace of anxiety. Her dark brown hair was tied into a ponytail, and the lights coming from the ceiling were almost blinding her.

Alphys brought some kind of machines and tools she definitely didn't have a clue what they were for, but she trusted the scientist nonetheless.

"Please, show me your SOUL."

Cami nodded, and with enough effort, a purple glowing heart appeared. She wasn't used to do this.

Alphys started her sustraction; and the girl started grunting, and eventually trying, by instinct, to get away from the ties.

It seemed like an eternity, but eventually part of her SOUL was locked in a container. She felt weak, really weak. She couldn't figure if it was because of the pain, or because part of her SOUL has been literally ripped apart from her. Alphys said that with a few Determination doses, while her SOUL wouldn't recover and it will keep its broken form, she would make it out. Or at least, in theory, she would.