⌜𝓹𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓽𝔀𝓸 - 𝓌𝒶𝓎 𝒹𝑜𝓌𝓃 𝓌𝑒 𝑔𝑜 ⌟

"Verena! Verena wait, please!"

Reluctantly she halts at the bottom of the steps and runs a hand through her hair, listening to his footsteps scrape across the pebbles.

"It's real." She whirls around to face him. "It's real. You were telling the truth. Angels, demons, they really exist." Her eyes rake over him, "you really exist." He carefully nods. With a loud exhale she takes a seat on the middle step.

"So," her voice shakes as she presses her hands together. "Hell is real?" He nods again. "Heaven too?" Another nod. "So that means that... Hu-Hugo is-is really- he's really up there?"

"Yes, he is." Cassian takes the spot to her right. "I saw him before my departure." The tears that slip down her cheeks are quickly wiped away. "At the hospital I made a promise to you. I gave you my word that he will be looked after. I meant it."

Nodding, she squeezes her watering eyes and leans into him when he stretches an arm around her shoulders.

"You will be taken care of, too. I'll make sure of it."

Not long after she finds herself sat on the foot of the king sized bed, staring blankly at the small cardboard box on the desk. From the moment it was handed over to her she placed it straight down and refused to look inside. She could feel it taunting her each time she entered the room.

A light knock on the door brings Verena back from her daydream. "I made you some tea."

"Thank you," she catches his bashful smile as he places the mug beside the box. Evidently his curiosity gets the better of him as he steps back and slips his hands into his pockets.

"May I ask what this is?"

"It's um, it's a couple things they managed to salvage from the car." She stands with her back to him, busying her restless hands with folding a few items of clothing. "I can't seem to bring myself to go near it, let alone open it."

"You're not ready which is perfectly alright. It's still early, don't rush this." She only nods in response. "There's some things I need to take care of, I'm not entirely sure how long I'll be gone for but I will return. If you would like me to. Unless you need some space then I understand completely, just say the word."

"No it's okay. You're more than welcome."

He offers her a warm smile to express his gratitude. Verena stands in complete silence, listening to his disappearing footsteps on the wooden floor. When the front door clicks shut behind him she wills herself to abandon the clothes and face the box.

Taking a much needed deep breath to try to settle her nerves she closes the gap between herself and the table, flicking the lid before she can change her mind again. Fingertips brushing over her mouth at the contents, her hand dips into the box. Placing their cracked phones to one side, she unfolds his wallet to gaze at the picture of herself and Hugo from their first date at an amusement park. It was a little hectic but the memories they made never fail to bring a smile to her face.

Next she raises her hand with her necklace dangling from her fingers. Carefully she unclips the heart-shaped locket, admiring their carefree smiles. He had his wallet and she had her pendant.