⌜𝓹𝓪𝓻𝓽 𝓸𝓷𝓮 ― 𝓉𝒽𝑒 𝒷𝑒𝑔𝒾𝓃𝓃𝒾𝓃𝑔 ⌟

A fresh start. That's all a person really needs.

Sometimes our lives travel down paths we don't want them to take and sometimes, it's out of our control. Then we panic. We spiral into a dark abyss and become trapped in our own minds, believing there's no way out.

That's the toughest part; pulling yourself back.

The easiest part? Starting over. To just drop everything and restart. That's exactly what one particular couple decided to do five months ago.

After struggling to sleep one rainy night, Verena turned to her lover and suggested they move and start a new life together. At first he laughed it off, but it took only a matter of minutes for him to be persuaded.

After all, they didn't have much back home in Chicago. A cramped house that somehow always felt empty. It was never really a home. For some unknown reason they just never seemed to settle in. The neighbours, other than a little too friendly at times, were unproblematic, and the neighbourhood itself was lovely. Not too many people so it never felt overcrowded. But the house was just a house. Nothing more nothing less.

Having reached an agreement, they searched for a new house in an entirely new state, packed up a few of their belongings that they wished to bring with them and off they went.
That's what guided them to this quiet road on this peaceful Monday morning.

A hand draped over the wheel, Hugo steals another glance at his significant other leant back in her seat admiring the fields of yellow flowers. With her head resting comfortably against the headrest and an arm swirling through the warm air, she smiles in content at the thought of a better life. Now is their chance to press play and see where life takes them. Oh, how they'd dreamt of this day— this moment.

It almost feels like a fairytale. One filled with magic and romance and endless possibilities. Pure bliss twenty-four-seven.

Hugo presses a kiss to the back of her hand, drawing a soft chuckle from Verena. But when her eyes wander to the figure materialising in the middle of the road her heart plummets into her stomach as she sucks in a sharp breath. Her hand tightening around his bicep as Hugo veers out of the way.

The car flips onto its side, tumbling helplessly across the concrete. From the impact the couple are launched against the dashboard, knocking the oxygen from their lungs and sending their heads back into the seats. When the vehicle slowly rolls to a stop upside down the road succumbs to an eerie silence. The mysterious figure vanishes into thin air, leaving behind the unconscious couple stuck within the smoking wreckage.

Is this a fairytale? Or is this a horror story?

When Verena finally awakens to find herself lying in a hospital bed, her first instinct is to sit upright in search for her boyfriend. She glances at the wire connecting her to the heart monitor, feeling her mouth turn dry as she struggles to piece together what happened.

Outside, a thick veil of grey clouds looms above the city, with rain cascading down the windows of her private room. Though the slightly comforting sound is washed away by a nurse stepping in to check up on her patient. Noticing her sat upright, dazed and confused, she closes the door with a slight smile.