Williams has a set of papers in his hand and wants to blow by us - but he can't. He stops short, doesn't acknowledge me at all and tells Hammonds that he has to run to the copy machine - and that he will be right back. Hammonds extends his hand towards the classroom entrance. Ladies first, and a lady I am for the most part, so I go in and take the seat that he points toward. 

Yes. For the most part. I am a lady that doesn't sleep well. I sit out on the patio and gulp in air for hours. I am restless. My dreams don't make sense, on repeat. I want to run - where and for what is beyond me - just away. I stay away from anything that is over stimulating. Something is missing, I am becoming unmoored and my anchor seems close at hand, but I have no idea what it looks like. What part of me is that? I doubt it is the lady. It is something else and it feels bigger than it lets on at times. 

I hear shoes clicking down the hall when I realize that it is Williams returning with his copies. I am annoyed at his earlier lack of acknowledgement. This pent up energy - whatever it is - encourages my moods. Before, I would have cared less what he said, did or noticed. Now, I pick up on everything. I am constantly looking for something, that exact something, not finding it and noticing everything else in the process. 

Williams lays his papers on the table at the front and center of his room next to the projector, and our meeting begins.

****************************************************************************

Williams talks and Hammonds mainly listens, interjecting when he feels the need to add pieces of information.

"This is a Tier Three class room." he begins. "We have the lowest readers in the building with Lexile scores equivalent to early grade schoolers. Many of the students have IEP's - also known as an Individual Education Plan." Hammonds nods, cosigning and then adds, "That's why there is a third teacher." 

Williams continues - he asks if I am familiar with the terminology, and I am, thank goodness. I nod quickly and he moves on. "Our third teacher is Mrs. Hart - she's in a meeting at the moment. You will meet her later or tomorrow." Hammonds checks his watch.

I notice the third desk in the room. 'Mrs. Hart' is spelled out in letters that have been cut out of scrapbook paper, laminated and posted on the front of her desk. It is crafty and cute. A framed photo of three blond little boys faces outward into the room. I wonder what she will be like. 

So, there will be three teachers in the room everyday. Williams, myself and a special education teacher. They get modified lessons, and we must adhere to them. Lesson plans must be correct and on time. 

I wait for the other shoe to drop. I know what it is - and that shoe is dropping right about - now.

Hammonds breaks in. "Williams, if I can just add something quickly, I need to get to this meeting." He looks at me. "Miss Pierson, these kids can be a challenge. I won't sugar coat it. Students with lower reading levels can have the tendency to act out - expect behavior issues. We have interventions in place to deal with class room management; just be consistent and follow Mr. Williams' lead. You'll be ok." With that, Hammonds is hustling out of the room and into the hall.

Williams does this part grimace,  part cringe-smile thing as Hammonds exits. He had been sitting in a student chair - he gets up and grabs his rolling chair and positions at the table.

"Can you sit here, Miss Pierson?"

I make my way over and sit. I am facing him now and he introduces himself. He reaches out and I do as well - we shake hands. His hand is warm and he smells nice. 

"Please, call me Donald. Hammonds is headed to Hart's meeting. Don't let his bombshell scare you. He probably should have lead with that." Donald leans forward for his stapler and starts attaching the worksheets to one another.

My eyes are narrowing - do I look scared? Because I am far from it. 

"I'm fine." I offer. "Do I look disturbed?" I am curious to how he will answer. He pauses to look at me.

He blinks in thought. "No." he finally says. "But I know that some new hires balk when they hear the words behavior and issue." He laughs. "And you don't quite look like a disciplinarian. I would bet your way is a bit different,  like Dr. Jay."

It is, well, at least it will be. She and I are alike - her energy. We match. 

"I think that is safe to say" I tell him and smile. 

"Good. Welcome to S.A.M.S." he smiles. 

Welcome indeed.