Chapter 34: The Father

Start from the beginning

"I think I got everything." You look around as you speak, also checking the bag that's slung across your body. "We should be good for a few days if something happens."

"It won't." Din's words come quick, with the usual amount of protectiveness he knows he radiates. He steps forward to lower the hatch, still waiting to place the baby in his bag as he surveys the area first. Din walks down the ramp, taking a look around and nodding to himself when he doesn't spot any immediate danger.

"Is the coast clear, riduur?" you question as you stand alongside him.

Din offers a nod. "Looks like it. Calodan's not too far away." Din turns around when he hears the tiny footsteps of his son, just to watch as he falls onto his bottom with his ears lowering in exhaustion. Din grimaces, recognizing the tiredness the baby usually feels after using his powers—and then seeing the baby looking intently at the silver sphere in his tiny hand, one that he must've acquired while Din was landing. "What did I say about that?" Din sighs in a soft yet firm manner, bending down to take the sphere in his gloved fingers. "This needs to stay in the ship."

The baby whines, his eyes begging for forgiveness as Din tucks the sphere into the pouch on his belt. He looks back out at the landscape when you speak up again. "Not much to see out here," you comment, and Din watches as your gaze scans the area.

"I've never had dealings with a Jedi before." Din turns back to the baby who's since gotten up and has reached out to him with his arms outstretched. He bends down to pick him up and settle him into the satchel slung across his body. "I didn't think that... this would be their ideal place of living."

"I was young when my parents met with the Jedi during the Clone Wars," you tell him, looking at the baby who coos from the satchel. "I don't remember much of it."

Din sighs, looking to the path ahead. "Well, we should head into town and see if we can pick up a lead."

You nod, walking by his side as you leave the Crest behind. Since he's unfamiliar with the people here, Din doesn't take your hand for fear that such a sign of affection could be used against you. The urge is hard to resist as the three of you push ahead, his desire to cure the tension he can see in your shoulders rising the closer you get to the walls of Calodan.

They come into view after a mile's walk, with Din being the one who steps forward as he faces the three guards who stand on the top of the gates. The one in the middle—the only one who shows their face—becomes the one to address him. Din makes sure to keep the baby covered by his cape as the guard calls out to him.

"State your business," he demands.

"Been tracking for a few days," Din answers simply, raising his voice to be heard. "We're looking for a layover."

Din can feel your gaze land on him, pleasantly surprised at his ability to stretch the truth. He nearly chuckles to himself as the guard speaks again. "Nice armor." Din doesn't respond, instead lowering his helmet a bit as his fingers flutter at his sides. The guard continues. "You a hunter, then?"

Din raises his helmet again and offers a nod. "That's right."

The guard furrows his brow. "Guild?"

Din shifts his weight. "Last I checked."

He gestures with his head to you. "And who are you?"

There's a cold chill that runs down his spine, but Din chooses to ignore it as you answer with a strong and confident voice. "His partner."

The guard gives Din an unimpressed look. "You need a partner?"

Din tightens his fists at his sides, forcing away his anger at the guard underestimating the importance of your strength. "Keeps the work from getting sloppy."